Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: PCS from Italy to the States!

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

PCS from Italy to the States!

Advertisements
    Okay so I am stressing .

What all do I need to do to prepare? I have PCSed before, but we have much more stuff now (when we moved here it was bare bones stuff). And it is a MUCH bigger move!

Should I empty drawers?
    What all CAN'T come?
    Should I put smaller items in plastic bins?
    Does everything stay in the dresser, or should I go ahead and take them out?

Really how much pre-packing is too much packing?

Halpppp

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  2. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

When we PCS'd here, the movers told me they couldn't move anything I prepacked. That they had to pack it themselves. Soooo I'd say pack your luggage bag for the flight/the stuff you want to have with you and that's it.

I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU TO BE BACK IN THE STATES.

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  3. Regular Member
    I packed many of our valuable/irreplaceable things myself and had no problem. Our Italian movers were definitely lax on the requirements - I kept all my spices, some random wine bottles that were on the counter, even half-used olive oil and vinegar.

Definitely keep what you are packing to have with you in your travels wayyy to the side - I stacked our suitcases in the neighbor's carport.

Wouldn't bother emptying drawers; they just wrap the whole dresser.

If you are a wine drinker, look into a wine shipment - it is an additional service provided if you are bringing more than 10 bottles of wine back!
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Check into your customs for the state you are going too. If you are going to a state that requires payment of wine collection, you may have to pay a fine to bring it in. For North Dakota, we had up to a certain limit and that was it. Utah is ZERO alcohol shipped in.

As for the packing, eh...I separated my unaccompanied stuff and the regular, kept the stuff I wanted to take with us and also mailed the rest.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by germy View Post
    When we PCS'd here, the movers told me they couldn't move anything I prepacked. That they had to pack it themselves. Soooo I'd say pack your luggage bag for the flight/the stuff you want to have with you and that's it.

I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU TO BE BACK IN THE STATES.
    I KNOW RIGHT?! I am pumped!

I am just wanting to over prepare because I just know something will get broken again .

Quote Originally Posted by anarchamom View Post
    I packed many of our valuable/irreplaceable things myself and had no problem. Our Italian movers were definitely lax on the requirements - I kept all my spices, some random wine bottles that were on the counter, even half-used olive oil and vinegar.

Definitely keep what you are packing to have with you in your travels wayyy to the side - I stacked our suitcases in the neighbor's carport.

Wouldn't bother emptying drawers; they just wrap the whole dresser.

If you are a wine drinker, look into a wine shipment - it is an additional service provided if you are bringing more than 10 bottles of wine back!
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    Check into your customs for the state you are going too. If you are going to a state that requires payment of wine collection, you may have to pay a fine to bring it in. For North Dakota, we had up to a certain limit and that was it. Utah is ZERO alcohol shipped in.

As for the packing, eh...I separated my unaccompanied stuff and the regular, kept the stuff I wanted to take with us and also mailed the rest.

~Art Page~
    Germy = wifey
  6. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Everything we didn't want packed we put in a spare bedroom.

Also it depends on your movers. They wrapped all our dressers with things inside them the first time but when we left Germany they emptied every single dresser.

My advice is to get rid of stuff! and when you think you got rid of enough, get rid of more!

life's a party, rock your body
  7. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    Absolutely zero advice but just came in to say yaaaaaaay, you're coming back!