Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: DREAM SHEET

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

DREAM SHEET

Advertisements
    Hi everyone, my husband and I are talking about our dream sheet. I know that just because we have a list doesn't mean we will get those exact choices and that The army puts him where they need him, but I'm just curious as to where everyone has lived and what you liked or did not like about it? So far we are looking at Ft. Lewis (my husband grew up in Washington so im aware the gloomyness) fort sam Houston, fort Bragg, and fort Campbell. What was your experience ?
    Last edited by bnmarti3; 07-12-2017 at 10:43 PM.
  2. Senior Member
    Love Ft. Lewis, I live here now. Love Fort Sam Houston, I'm from San Antonio. Both of these locations have a lot to do and see. Texas is hot af. Lewis has better weather. But, Texas has the heat/sun that you need for summer activities more so than lewis. Texas you're close to Mexico, Lewis you're close to Canada. Texas has fantastic food, tex-mex, bbq, etc. Washington is way healthier though and I find it much easier to be a vegetarian here. Texas has WA beat for cost of living. SA is dirt cheap compared to WA. We had mortgage on a 1700 sq ft house for 700$ less than for what we're renting a 2100 sq ft house here. The traffic here can be pretty bad but it's also pretty terrible in SA too.

There's a lot of pros about both, I think they're both pretty awesome!

3. Regular Member
    Ft. Campbell is gorgeous! I grew up in that area and it is a nice place to live. It's not far from Nashville which is booming. Some people actually choose to live between base and Nashville to take advantage of being close to a big city with a lot to offer (sports, restaurants, music, shopping, etc) Or if you love the country, there is a lot of farm land for sale. Gardens do quite well - good soil.
  4. Senior Member
    I didnt think the Army really did a dream sheet. My SO just got out of basic and none of the people he was with in Basic filled one out, that was about 120 people. We are about a hour from Fort Carson. Im not super impressed by the Post, but if you love out-doorsey stuff, mountains, seasons, 1000's of things to do, pick Fort Carson!
  5. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Fort Lewis is a joint base with McChord AFB and we've been here since 2012. We love it here and have had such a wonderful time adventuring in this beautiful state. I'm ready to leave now though. Fort Bragg is a joint base with Pope AFB and we actually PCS'd here from there. We didn't really explore the area (I'm from Charlotte, so we just went home to see my family whenever we did travel). NC isn't a bad state to be in either though. Like here there are mountains on one side and beaches on the other.

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  6. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bnmarti3 View Post
    Hi everyone, my husband and I are talking about our dream sheet. I know that just because we have a list doesn't mean we will get those exact choices and that The army puts him where they need him, but I'm just curious as to where everyone has lived and what you liked or did not like about it? So far we are looking at Ft. Lewis (my husband grew up in Washington so im aware the gloomyness) fort sam Houston, fort Bragg, and fort Campbell. What was your experience ?
    All of those are pretty decent places compared to other Army posts. It depends on what kind of weather you like and what hobbies you have but those are not bad places. The only disadvantage of Campbell is that the area is prone to tornado disasters but I heard the post is very nice. I am at Bragg right now. We live about 50 mins from the base. The base is huge and its surrounding area is not great but there is a lot to do and you can be on the beach in less than 2 hours or go to bigger cities in 1-2 hours. There's a lot to do if you like hiking, walking, outdoors in general. Beautiful area with tons of rivers and lakes. We like Ft Bragg but wouldn't like it if we lived in Fayetteville. People in this area go above and beyond for others, they are nice and friendly. San Antonio is not bad but Texas in general is a place that you either like or dislike. That was the only place that I couldn't get used to (I was at Hood, not Sam Houston though). They have their own culture. I have heard good things about Ft Lewis. It is one of the most requested bases. As you mentioned, the weather is the only thing which may put people in a bad mood there. It depends on what you like but those are good choices compared to places like Ft Polk or Sill. I hope you get something you enjoy!
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

My husband is Air Force but we're at Joint Base Langley-Eustis. We like it here. There is a lot to see and do in the area. The beach is close, the mountains are close, Washington, D.C. is 3.5 hours. We have a couple of amusement/water parks and a lot of history!