Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Baby on the way to Japan- no fee passport?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Baby on the way to Japan- no fee passport?

Advertisements
    I have so many questions I am not sure where to start. Long story short is that my husband will be leaving for Japan in October and our daughter is due Sept 30th. I am on his orders but on delayed dependent travel. My question is can I start mine and my daughters no fee passport before the medical/ dental screening? I only have a few months to get out there before they change his orders to unaccompanied and am worried since she cannot be screened until she is 6 weeks old (I believe). Another thing is that it will take her 3 weeks to get a social security number. Does this affect anything?
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggie0729 View Post
    My question is can I start mine and my daughters no fee passport before the medical/ dental screening?
    Some here have been able to and some have not. The only way to know is to ask the office at your location how they handle this process.
  3. Senior Member
    Ask the local office, and if they won't work with you, have your DH bring it up with his command (both gaining and losing) to see if they can help.

I don't understand why, if he starts the orders in October, you'd only have a few months to get there before the orders are changed though. How long are the orders for?
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Ask the local office, and if they won't work with you, have your DH bring it up with his command (both gaining and losing) to see if they can help.

I don't understand why, if he starts the orders in October, you'd only have a few months to get there before the orders are changed though. How long are the orders for?
    I will have to bring it up with the office about the passports, thank you. DH told me that they would probably give me a time limit since they wouldn't want to pay BAH very long for me here? Does that sound right to anyone? I don't mind a time frame but I just hope they give a realistic one. We are in the position we are in now because it was taking them so long to process us through medical (no appointments available) and still with the passports, TMO, and background check to go I ran out of time before I hit my third trimester and they wouldn't fly me out once I hit that mark.
  5. Senior Member
    That doesn't really sound right. He would have to have a minimum time left on hos orders for you to get sponsorship, but I believe that is usually 12 months. They aren't going to say that if you aren't there in 2 months (or whatever) you can no longer get sponsorship. But yes, they *may* shut off BAH. That's very different than them changing the orders so he can no longer bring you and the baby though.

So you do need to be careful with allowances, and he needs to ask lots of specific questions, making absolutely sure (and then confirming himself by reading the JTR!!! No matter who tells him what! Always read the JTR yourself and confirm!!!) that he presents all the details (you unable to travel due to pregnancy/Passport wait, him living in barracks and you still getting BAH, etc). I've seen people get themselves into deep financial holes. He needs to be very, very careful. If he qualifies for accompanied orders (and it sounds like he does), then they aren't likely going to provide for two homes for him indefinitely We recently had a family arrive. He came first, because she was going to stay in the US until school was out. (Note: This was not delayed dependent travel, whihc absolutely can make a big difference, but I'm sharing the story so you can see what can happen if he's not careful.) He got a barracks room upon arrival, and was still receiving BAH for her location. But that means that in effect, the Navy was providing two houses, so they shut off the BAH and required him to pay it back for the time he'd been receiving it while living in barracks. There are all sorts of relevant details that play in to this--especially the fact that you do have delayed travel orders--, but it's happened several times lately with people in DH's command that they've accidentally doubled up on living expenses--one in Japan and one in the States--and have owed a lot of money back, and even though the command fought hard for exceptions in several cases, they were not able to get them. So yes, you do need to be mindful of this (can you move in with family or a friend, perhaps?), but no, it would not create a hard deadline for you to be there or a date by which they would just change his orders so you can't come. You'd just most likely be footing your own living expenses (no BAH) after he arrives.

That said, those people weren't on officially delayed dependent travel, and admittedly I'm not sure how that plays in to this. Just be careful and ask lots of questions. And tell everyone in the passport offices that you need a rush.
  6. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you so much! this has been a huge help at setting my mind at ease. I think that he has a couple of people telling him different things and he always picks the worst scenario to tell me. I am actually going to move in with my brother and sister in law and they are going to help me with everything while we get processed so luckily I am not in a position like not being able to pay my rent. I don't mind not getting BAH so that isn't a big deal. I think he is going to try for the barracks while he waits for housing.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggie0729 View Post
    Thank you so much! this has been a huge help at setting my mind at ease. I think that he has a couple of people telling him different things and he always picks the worst scenario to tell me. I am actually going to move in with my brother and sister in law and they are going to help me with everything while we get processed so luckily I am not in a position like not being able to pay my rent. I don't mind not getting BAH so that isn't a big deal. I think he is going to try for the barracks while he waits for housing.
    What base is he going to?

If his base is like my base, they will not put him on the wait list for housing (or assign him a house if it becomes available), until his dependents have booked travel. And of course you can't book your travel until you have passports and clearance. At our base, military housing is required for everyone with dependents. Until dependents arrive, the service member is assigned a barracks room. Then, when the family arrives, they move in to the base hotel to wait for a house, if one isn't available.

Again, this is what i know for non-delayed travel. I wouldn't think that would change much of that info, but I want to make sure that's clear so I'm not passing on bad info.
  8. Senior Member
    I was on deferred to Aviano but never went due to medical issues after birth. Air Force won't let you get a passport until medical is approved. Also there was no mandatory report date for me and I just got BAH in the states the whole time while he got single OHA in Italy.