Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: navy bases

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

navy bases

Advertisements
    My husband is in boot camp and I was just wondering what are some bases that he is likely to get as a LS just out of A school?

Also, what do you consider to be the best and worst bases in the US?
  2. Senior Member
    Surface or aviation? From what I just read up on the rate looks like your spouse could be going anywhere we have a navy base. I think as far as worst and best it would depend on which community he is attached to, as well as personal feeling. Some people love some areas better than others.
  3. Senior Member
    I dont know anything about the Navy, but my cousin is in it and he is stationed at Kings Bay I think. I know he's basically in Florida. He has told me that when he is not underwater he really enjoys his base.
  4. Senior Member
    Jacksonville/Mayport is nice, affordable. San Diego nice but expensive, Pax river not on the top of my list again. Hawaii while I haven't been stationed there its expensive but we really considered taking orders there. DH hopes to before he retires.
  5. Senior Member
    "Best and Worst" is impossible to answer because it's completely subjective. What's the best kind of pet to have? What's the best food? Those answers vary drastically based on who is answering.

If you tell us what is most important to you about a location (outdoor activities, culture, no traffic, wide open spaces, big city amenities, low cost of living, larger homes, good schools...) we might actually be able to help you.

That said, for me, San Diego (which has several Navy bases) is pretty much nirvana, minus the very high cost of living (which is not offset by higher BAH).
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    "Best and Worst" is impossible to answer because it's completely subjective. What's the best kind of pet to have? What's the best food? Those answers vary drastically based on who is answering.

If you tell us what is most important to you about a location (outdoor activities, culture, no traffic, wide open spaces, big city amenities, low cost of living, larger homes, good schools...) we might actually be able to help you.

That said, for me, San Diego (which has several Navy bases) is pretty much nirvana, minus the very high cost of living (which is not offset by higher BAH).
    Well, I have to disagree. "A cat" is always the correct answer for the best kind of pet to have.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guynavywife View Post
    Well, I have to disagree. "A cat" is always the correct answer for the best kind of pet to have.
    Maybe once all the dogs have been extinct.

I agree that this is way too subjective.
    I myself hated Mayport, and have no desire to ever go to norfolk. Dh and I both loved San Diego, and he loved Sasebo, but thought Fukuokwa was even better. Anywhere near Seattle is also on dh's dream sheet.
  8. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Well, we are from Florida now and would like to get out of the state, hopefully. I know my husband wants to end up on the west coast. I guess it would be subjective based on preference... We are pretty open to most places, I just would like to get away from the awful humidity in Florida and also be in a place that doesn't have high crime rates since I'll be alone with our kids for months at a time.
  9. Senior Member
    Crime is everywhere....its the matter of finding that particular area that doesn't have a high crime rate.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nw2811 View Post
    Well, we are from Florida now and would like to get out of the state, hopefully. I know my husband wants to end up on the west coast. I guess it would be subjective based on preference... We are pretty open to most places, I just would like to get away from the awful humidity in Florida and also be in a place that doesn't have high crime rates since I'll be alone with our kids for months at a time.

San Diego sounds like it would be a good fit. There are several Navy bases there (North Island/Coronado, 32nd St., Point Loma, and several others). Certainly some parts of San Diego have more crime, but it's pretty easy to find an area with fairly low crime. I think the biggest downside is that it's expensive. Friends who have been stationed there and Hawaii have told me they actually found it more expensive to live in San Diego, once all the allowances are figured in. And some people object to the lack of seasons. You don't get fall or winter, pretty much ever. Definitely not humid. Since you mention schools, I'm told (we don't have kids) that there are areas with greats schools and areas with lousy schools, so you'd just need to do your research. For a young enlisted couple with kids, it would almost certainly be a better deal for you to live in military housing. Most housing in SD is not actually on base, and much of it is not gated. But you are going to get a lot more for your BAH than you would if you had to rent a place, especially because you have kids so should qualify for something larger.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast