Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Driver's License?

1. Regular Member

Confused New Driver's License?

Advertisements
    So DH just finished his technical training and we will be moving from California to his new base in North Carolina in a couple weeks. This is our first big military move, so I was wondering if once we get there, I need to get a North Carolina driver's license.

I know that when you regularly move states, you need to get a new license for that state and new plates for the car. Is that still true when you move to a military base for just a couple of years?
  2. Regular Member
    Copied from the North Carolina DMV site;

You do not need a NC driver's license if you're a non-resident*. NC considers the following people non-residents:
    •Military members and their dependents. •They must have valid out-of-state licenses.

However, if you're in the military or a dependent or a military member and your license expires, you must apply for a new North Carolina driver's license IF your home state:
    •Won't renew your out-of-state license while you're in NC.
    •Hasn't granted you a military extension

The site states you can register your vehicles if you wish, you may want to see which states registration is cheaper. If you are currently registering them in California then it might be cheaper to register in NC. The DMV sites have fees calculators you can use to figure this out.

"Well behaved women rarely make history"
  3. we were all rooting for you
    we were all rooting for you
    If your car is registered in California (or another state) and you live elsewhere, do you have to get it inspected there? How does that all work?

#clueless
    Last edited by KittenMittens; 06-06-2017 at 01:41 PM.
  4. Regular Member
    California doesn't have "inspection stickers", you have to get smog checks done (renewal time depends on the vehicle type), that is it. Sometimes if your registering an old car for the first time in California you may have to take it to the DMV and they will verify that the lights and all that work, but it is rare. In California you are expected to be responsible and if your not you will get to see how much the California Highway Patrol LOVE their job. BTW, there are typically 4 or 5 lines on a traffic citation form, these guys are good at letting you know there is a "cite continuation" form they can attach and it has 25 more lines for them to fill up with violations.

5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KittenMittens View Post
    If your car is registered in California (or another state) and you live elsewhere, do you have to get it inspected there? How does that all work?

#clueless
    Depends on the requirements of that state and also the county. So my car and my husbands cars are registered in OR since that is where my husbands HOR is and keeps his residency there....all we do is a vin inspection when we first get a new car. Thats all. Maryland which we had a car registered for a bit needed its first inspection when we got the car in that state but it was brand new. Now later on it need a smog inspection which was funny cause the county we lived in didn't require it. So its all based on the different states and their requirements.

I had a car in college that was from a county that needed a smog inspection but the county i was living in didn't. I had to either go back home or get an extension till I got home for that inspection.
  6. Regular Member
    You can always look up the state regulations and laws on their DMV sites. Most states wave the inspection for military until you re-enter the state with the vehicle.

7. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

You don't need to, but I eventually did because some job applications wanted a valid license from the state we were in.

For our plates, we register and title them in his home of record, and since he is military/out of state they waive his emissions tests indefinitely.
  8. Regular Member
    Thanks everyone! You are all very helpful. I'll just have to check with that area to see what needs to be done about my car.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by natalie19 View Post
    Thanks everyone! You are all very helpful. I'll just have to check with that area to see what needs to be done about my car.
    Nothing. You are still California residents.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    From CA. DMV:
    Military Personnel Away From Home
    If you are out of state on active military service in the United States Armed Forces, your and your spouse's California driver licenses will continue to be valid beyond the normal expiration date. If your driver license has expired and you are out of state, call (916) 657-7790 to update your driving record. DMV will send you an Extension of License for Person in Armed Forces (DL 236) card to carry with your driver license. The DL 236 card shows California Vehicle Code (CVC) 12817 which authorizes the extension of your and your spouse's driver licenses. It is important to update your driving record to prevent it from being purged.

Resident Military Personnel Operating a Vehicle in California
    Military personnel who are also residents of California but deployed to a location outside the state may qualify for a renewal penalty waiver.

To qualify for the renewal penalty waiver, the registered owner must be ordered to temporary military duty during a period when a Presidential Executive order specifies the United States is engaged in combat or homeland defense and the registered owner is a member of one of the following:

Armed forces,
    Armed forces reserve, or
    National Guard.
    Deployment does not include:

Temporary duty for the sole purpose of training or processing.
    A permanent change of station.
    Only penalties incurred during deployment may be waived.

The application for registration renewal must be submitted with the appropriate fees within 60 days after termination of deployment to qualify for the penalty waiver.

Submit proof of temporary military duty during a period when a Presidential Executive Order specifies the United States is engaged in combat or homeland defense and be a member of the armed forces, armed forces reserve, or the National Guard who has been called to active duty or active service.

Complete a Miscellaneous Statements of Fact (REG 256) stating:

That you are a member of the armed forces, armed forces reserve, or the National Guard.
    The termination date of deployment.
    Make an Appointment(s) and take the renewal and REG 256 to your local DMV.
    Vehicle Code 9560
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast