Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: What were your On-Post rules about Gardening/Landscaping?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Question What were your On-Post rules about Gardening/Landscaping?

Advertisements
    My SO is not enlisted yet, but I'm already itching to know about on-post rules regarding gardening and landscaping. I have a green thumb! We are considering living on-post at first to make our transition to military life easier. I know each base has its own rules and each one differs slightly, but could anyone who has lived on-post give me a quick summary of what was and wasn't allowed at their duty station? I'm the kind of person who needs to get their hands in the dirt!

I hear container garden plants are okay and hanging baskets. What about raised beds? Is there a limit to how much garden stuff you can have outside? Any idea about keeping plants in your house on base? Are there any community gardens on bases? Are there garden plants that are banned?

Thanks!!
  2. Senior Member
    Not all on-post housing even has a yard. Here, we have a lot of high rises (not actually "high", but 9 stories). The yards for those who have them are fairly small. I'd say our backyard is maybe 10X20.

We do have a yard, and we can do pretty much whatever we want, but if we put in something like raised beds and it killed the lawn underneath, we'd have to re-sod (or pay to have them re=sod when we move out).

I've never heard of community gardens on a base.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member
    You can have as many plants as you want inside your home, I've never heard of any sort of rule or lease bullet regarding that. For the outside, our general rule is the condition needs to be the same or better than when you moved in. For example, our water is included in rent and you can get free grass seed from housing because they encourage everyone to water and maintain a nice yard.

I have several raised beds that are 4x3 (counter height raised) and two containers of tomatoes plus several of flowers. No one has said a word to me about it. We mulched this weird, thin area between our sidewalk and house and maintain the wisteria and rosebush that have taken over our doorway.

My previous base had a community garden with a lottery system as to who got the yearly plots. I don't think it was much utilized, but that was mainly because you can just get raised beds and do it yourself in your yard. So basically, with all of this said, it's going to be very base/company dependent but from my experience they prefer you to have a green thumb than to killing what was there when you moved in.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    That's good to hear, missinghim. Of all the things I'd miss from home, my garden is one of the top things.

And if they don't care about you having indoor plants, I may just try building an indoor hydroponic veggie garden because I'm crazy like that.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Britt_OK View Post
    That's good to hear, missinghim. Of all the things I'd miss from home, my garden is one of the top things.

And if they don't care about you having indoor plants, I may just try building an indoor hydroponic veggie garden because I'm crazy like that.
    Be aware that it's becoming more and more common for military housing to regulate utility usage and charge people who are well above average, so if your set up is going to use a lot of power, the "free utilities" part of military housing might not apply. Also, depending on your base and your husband's rank (and # of dependents), you may have a pretty small house. Here, junior enlisted housing is less than 900sqft, I believe. So not a ton of space for an indoor garden, but different bases will have very different housing set ups.

Is there a particular reason you want to live in military housing?
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We have always done pots for our garden. It isn't much; but, we didn't have to worry and kept them on the patio. If you dig up places, you have to return them to how you found them for gardens. At our base, there is a community garden plots that cost about $25 a year to use. It isn't too bad.

For in house, as long as it doesn't damage your house, should be alright. Just like Villanelle said, if the base has utilities privatized, you may have to pay for the additional cost. Also, you should contact the housing office to see if there are regs about those types of things. Most of the time, it is just paperwork to fill out.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    We live on base now. Our rules are no hanging baskets outside. You could probably get away with it in the back but definitely not in the front. You can have some pots in the front but housing wants minimal items out. The back gets tricky in that some places have a fenced in yard and others don't. If there is no fence then there is no garden or raised bed that is allowed. If there is a fence then they'll allow a raised bed. The front of all places is maintained by housing and they don't want anyone messing with the beds in the front.

In house, they don't care as long as it is returned to normal at turnover. You are supposed to get permission for things like paint color if you choose to paint. But again, I've not seen them care as long as it's returned to normal. If you wanted to have plants all over the inside of the house they wouldn't care as long as the place isn't being messed up/ruined.

Our utilities aren't completely free. The water and sewer are but that's it. Electric and gas are monitored, compared to like houses, and then billed. If you're below the average you get a credit. If you're average then you basically equal out, no credit. If you're over the average then you pay the overage. Trash is free as long as the lid is completely closed. If not, you'll be charged. And how much will depend on how much there is.
  8. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks for the answers, everyone. Appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Is there a particular reason you want to live in military housing?
    It would be both of our first times moving and living away from home, so we are considering military housing at first to kind of "practice" living together on our own. It's just us two and we both grew up in really small houses and rooms so almost anything will seem like a mansion to us.