Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Pope Army Airfield, NC

1. Regular Member

Pope Army Airfield, NC

Advertisements
    So originally DF was going to get stationed in Washington and now it has been changed to North Carolina. We know nothing about North Carolina, so let me know if you have any ideas on what we can expect when we move.

Has anyone been there? I know that it is an incredibly large base and the area seems alright, but that's about all I know. Any info is appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Regular Member
    Im here right now! Luckily only until around Oct. since DH is on TDY.
    The base is hugeeeee and the traffic during rush hour times are insane. Getting into the gate in the morning can take about an hour depending on where you live. All-American gets backed up really bad and clears up around 830-9ish from what i've noticed. If you're taking one of the smaller gates that can cut some time off. Luckily DH and I live on base so we don't have to worry about that.

Do you plan on living off post or on?

If you're living off post and want an apartment, The Plantations of Fayetteville are gorgeous and theres also an FB page "Ft. Bragg Wives" I believe it's called, there's tons of people on there that have asked about houses and apartment rentals, good areas to live, etc. Fayetteville is a super busy town and people don't know how to drive, so be warned. There isn't too much to do in town though, just a couple movie theaters, bowling alleys, and tons of restaurants and fast food, so it can get old after a while. If you're up for the drive, I suggest checking out Charlotte on a long weekend, it's about a 2.5 hour drive but it's a big city and it's beautiful. I also suggest checking out Myrtle Beach, I haven't been able to make my way down there yet, but a lot of people suggest it.

Overall, it's an okay place, just takes a while to get used to. Maybe moreso for me because I'm from California and it's a whole new world out here for me, but I've finally acclimated.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Fayette-nam. I know most people prefer to live on base in that area, or live roughly 20-30mins away where the neighborhoods are better. I've spent a little time in Fayetteville but this was when my brother was Army (8+ years ago). But like PP said, it's not an all day drive to get away from the town. I think it's like 4hrs to Myrtle.
  4. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Figgychick View Post
    Im here right now! Luckily only until around Oct. since DH is on TDY.
    The base is hugeeeee and the traffic during rush hour times are insane. Getting into the gate in the morning can take about an hour depending on where you live. All-American gets backed up really bad and clears up around 830-9ish from what i've noticed. If you're taking one of the smaller gates that can cut some time off. Luckily DH and I live on base so we don't have to worry about that.

Do you plan on living off post or on?

If you're living off post and want an apartment, The Plantations of Fayetteville are gorgeous and theres also an FB page "Ft. Bragg Wives" I believe it's called, there's tons of people on there that have asked about houses and apartment rentals, good areas to live, etc. Fayetteville is a super busy town and people don't know how to drive, so be warned. There isn't too much to do in town though, just a couple movie theaters, bowling alleys, and tons of restaurants and fast food, so it can get old after a while. If you're up for the drive, I suggest checking out Charlotte on a long weekend, it's about a 2.5 hour drive but it's a big city and it's beautiful. I also suggest checking out Myrtle Beach, I haven't been able to make my way down there yet, but a lot of people suggest it.

Overall, it's an okay place, just takes a while to get used to. Maybe moreso for me because I'm from California and it's a whole new world out here for me, but I've finally acclimated.
    Cool I'm from California too! This is the only place I've lived so I'm prepared for quite a change. We are hoping to live on base to hopefully make the transition easier. Thanks for all the info!
  5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by natalie19 View Post
    Cool I'm from California too! This is the only place I've lived so I'm prepared for quite a change. We are hoping to live on base to hopefully make the transition easier. Thanks for all the info!
    Oh trust me, this is the only place I lived other than California so it was a HUGE adjustment, but it's chill now lol. If you intend on living on post, a lot of houses are duplexes. I live in a single family home in Bastogne Gables. The upside to that is that we doing have neighbors connected to us, the downside, these houses are pretty old and have a weird layout. And they are a little on the dirty side, imo. But you can check out pictures of all the different house type of the Corvias website. Just Google Corvias Fort Bragg or something of that sort, and it will come up. It'll show all the neighborhoods as well as what houses you guys will qualify for.

And be warned, there's A LOT of one way streets and the way things are laid out is awkward in some spots on base so that will take some time to get used to. DH went down a one way street the WRONG WAY, when he first got here because he was still learning the base
  6. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Figgychick View Post
    Oh trust me, this is the only place I lived other than California so it was a HUGE adjustment, but it's chill now lol. If you intend on living on post, a lot of houses are duplexes. I live in a single family home in Bastogne Gables. The upside to that is that we doing have neighbors connected to us, the downside, these houses are pretty old and have a weird layout. And they are a little on the dirty side, imo. But you can check out pictures of all the different house type of the Corvias website. Just Google Corvias Fort Bragg or something of that sort, and it will come up. It'll show all the neighborhoods as well as what houses you guys will qualify for.

And be warned, there's A LOT of one way streets and the way things are laid out is awkward in some spots on base so that will take some time to get used to. DH went down a one way street the WRONG WAY, when he first got here because he was still learning the base
    Thanks for all of the tips! I will definitely look into the housing and keep an eye out for one way streets. It's so nice to hear about this place from someone who was in the same situation that I'm about to be in. Thanks!
  7. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by natalie19 View Post
    Thanks for all of the tips! I will definitely look into the housing and keep an eye out for one way streets. It's so nice to hear about this place from someone who was in the same situation that I'm about to be in. Thanks!
    Alsooooo, pricing out here for apartments and even some houses not on post actually aren't that bad. I don't know what your SO's rank is (you don't have to tell me) but if he's E5 or even E4, his BAH should be pretty decent to get a nicer house to rent off post. One mil wife said usually it's best to just live on post when your SO is making E3-E4 pay just because you have to pay rent plus utilities. There are some flat rate houses in some neighborhoods on post meaning, if the cost of living in that house is less than what you are allotted for BAH, you get the difference back as opposed to them taking all your BAH. Same thing when living off base, you want to make sure wherever you live your rent+utilities are under your BAH amount (or at least breaking even) that way you're not struggling to pay other bills.

If you plan on living off post, I suggest maybe Hope Mills, or Raeford area, even Spring Lake...just not Fayetteville (but that's just personal preference for me)
    DH and I wish we could live off base, but it wouldn't be cost effective for us to do that right now, especially since we're only going to be here until October-ish. Being that your SO is AF, I'm assuming you would be directed to live moreso in Pope neighborhood or the housing towards that side of base, but like I said you can look on the Corvias website and see what houses you would qualify for and decide from there whether you want to live on base or not. If you plan on living on base, get on the housing list as soon as possible because the wait time can get pretty long.