Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Command of Sponsorship?

  1. Old Newbie
    Eli00301's Avatar
    Eli00301 is offline
    Old Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    28
    #1

    Command of Sponsorship?

    Advertisements
    So I've finally completed the overseas screening which was very easy, I called that morning and bc I didn't live near a base they did a phone interview and by the end of the day I was enrolled and all documents were signed. That same day my husband turned in everything to be reviewed for command of sponsorship. He is currently in AK and has been waiting for us to get everything together to send in, my question is how long does that take? To get a sponsor? He turned it in Thursday and so it's officially been there only 1/2 business days depending on when the office turned it in....he is army if that makes a difference. Thanks!
  2. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Crystal's Avatar
    Crystal is offline
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."
    Posts
    53,548




    #2
    You aren't actually getting a physical person as a sponsor. This may explain better than I can: http://www.2cr.army.mil/Newcomers/CO...PONSORSHIP.pdf
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  3. Old Newbie
    Eli00301's Avatar
    Eli00301 is offline
    Old Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    28
    #3
    Okay thanks so much! I was a bit confused since everyone says use your sponsor etc etc, I appreciate your help!!
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Carolina's Avatar
    Carolina is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,641


    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli00301 View Post
    Okay thanks so much! I was a bit confused since everyone says use your sponsor etc etc, I appreciate your help!!
    In the AF we get sponsors when arriving at a new base. These people are responsible for getting certain things ready for the member upon arrival, picking them up from the airport if necessary, and getting them to the squadron to start in-processing at least the first day. Depending on the sponsor, they can answer questions you may have or find the answers if they care enough to. Command sponsorship for dependents is basically the members command approving them to come so they have access to everything (healthcare, housing, etc.) and it's a funded move instead of out of pocket.
  5. Old Newbie
    Eli00301's Avatar
    Eli00301 is offline
    Old Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    28
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by EverlastingLove View Post
    In the AF we get sponsors when arriving at a new base. These people are responsible for getting certain things ready for the member upon arrival, picking them up from the airport if necessary, and getting them to the squadron to start in-processing at least the first day. Depending on the sponsor, they can answer questions you may have or find the answers if they care enough to. Command sponsorship for dependents is basically the members command approving them to come so they have access to everything (healthcare, housing, etc.) and it's a funded move instead of out of pocket.
    Okay, so since he's turned on our paperwork, how long will it take him to get approved so we can get on the housing list? He was a reservist and went active. he had to process out of his unit and into the new one in AK, my daughter and I are on his DEERS but not the orders because we needed to get our physicals etc done. Now that it's completed we are waiting for it to get approved to actually get on the housing list.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    Carolina's Avatar
    Carolina is offline
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,641


    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli00301 View Post
    Okay, so since he's turned on our paperwork, how long will it take him to get approved so we can get on the housing list? He was a reservist and went active. he had to process out of his unit and into the new one in AK, my daughter and I are on his DEERS but not the orders because we needed to get our physicals etc done. Now that it's completed we are waiting for it to get approved to actually get on the housing list.
    Depends on the command and the base. I've never been stationed in Alaska so I don't know the ins and outs of how they work. Your best bet is to have your DH go to the housing office and explain the situation and see what they say.
  7. Senior Member
    dekeoboe's Avatar
    dekeoboe is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,834
    #7
    Is he on unaccompanied orders to AK? If so, they will have to change his orders to accompanied in order to put you and your child on the orders. This will also most likely mean the orders will be lengthened. Once your command sponsorship is approved, then they can change his orders and once his orders are changed, he can get in touch with housing to get on the housing list. As for how long this will take, it is really anyone's guess.
  8. Senior Member
    villanelle's Avatar
    villanelle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14,790
    #8
    It's "command sponsorship", which basically means his command is sponsoring your move to Alaska.

    Separate from that, you may be assigned a sponsor. This is a person already in Alaska who answers your questions before you arrive. But since your DH is already there, you probably wouldn't get one, and this has *nothing* at all to do with command sponsorship.

    For housing, our base's policy is that once the spouse has command sponsorship and booked travel dates (within 60 days), the name can go on the list. So ask soon as someone gets a ticket, they get on the list, as long as their ticket has them arriving in 60 days or less. (Of it's more than 60 days, then they can get on the list at 60 days out.) But this might vary by location and service. For our base (we are also OCONUS), if the dependent arrives and housing isn't available, the service member moves from the barracks into the TFL (Temporary Lodging Facility, which is basically a base hotel) the day the dependent arrives, and they live their until they get housing. However, that's because housing on base is mandatory here. If that weren't the case, they would go to the TLF for the max time allowed under TLE/TLA (I always confuse the two, but it's the one that pays for your hotel when you first arrive overseas, and is usually limited to 30 days initially, but not always).
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Old Newbie
    Eli00301's Avatar
    Eli00301 is offline
    Old Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    28
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    Is he on unaccompanied orders to AK? If so, they will have to change his orders to accompanied in order to put you and your child on the orders. This will also most likely mean the orders will be lengthened. Once your command sponsorship is approved, then they can change his orders and once his orders are changed, he can get in touch with housing to get on the housing list. As for how long this will take, it is really anyone's guess.
    Yes, he's having to have his orders changed over to accompanied. Right now he is in the barracks waiting for all these changes and he's hoping by the end of this week things will be in place. What do you mean his orders will be lengthened though?
  10. Senior Member
    villanelle's Avatar
    villanelle is offline
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    14,790
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Eli00301 View Post
    Yes, he's having to have his orders changed over to accompanied. Right now he is in the barracks waiting for all these changes and he's hoping by the end of this week things will be in place. What do you mean his orders will be lengthened though?
    You generally have to have a minimum amount of time left on orders in order to get sponsorship for a dependent. And often (not always), unaccompanied orders are written to be shorter. So if he went on 1.5 year orders, he might have to extend to 3 years if he's changing them to accompanied orders. (For example.)
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •