Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Moving from Hawaii to San Diego - PCS and POV Questions

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Confused Moving from Hawaii to San Diego - PCS and POV Questions

Advertisements
    Aloha!

Me and DH are expecting orders any day now to move from Hawaii to San Diego. I am a DoD civilian employee and I did a civilian PCS before which is how I got here to Hawaii. However, I am concerned about this PCS as a military spouse, as far as entitlements go. I have heard they will only ship one POV (car). Is this true? That would suck having to come out of pocket to ship one of our vehicles.

Also, do they allow you to ship something to your new duty station beforehand so it's there before you arrive? I did this last time on my civilian PCS, shipping clothes, towels, toilet paper, plates, etc. to use while I was in transition in my new home. I am guessing they don't do this for military PCS

Appreciate your help!
  2. Senior Member
    I've heard that they will only ship one POV too, but I am not the person to ask. My SO is NG. I hope you the best of luck during your PCS tho.
  3. Senior Member
    Generally yes, you are only allowed one car. You can ship the other at your own cost, but it is almost always cheaper to just sell and buy something equivalent in the new location.

From Hawaii, I think you should get a UAB (UnAccompanied Baggage) shipment. This is a small shipment, no furniture allowed, and if you want, you can arrange to send it ahead of time. His orders should stated the max weight allowed. You can't do this for most military moves, but for OCONUS, it is allowed. (Hawaii is OCONUS, but occasionally has slightly different rules. I'm assuming you'd still get a UAB shipment , but you'll want to confirm.) You basically set up an extra move, and different movers will come out and pack up whatever items you've gathered together for the UAB shipment. You should be able to arrange this as soon as you have written orders.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Thank you so much!! Helps to make sure I have an idea of what to expect!