Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possibly Geo Baching HELP

1. Regular Member

Possibly Geo Baching HELP

Advertisements
    My grandmother, who raised me so is more like my mother, was recently diagnosed with cancer. I need to go home to be able to care for her and help with doctors appointments, etc. I've read up on geo baching and I'm hoping it's an option for us. Do any of you with experience think this will be possible or know our odds? I'm hoping he'll be able to stay in the barracks and I can get an apartment back home. Sorry if this post seems jumbled, there's just a lot going on. Any and all advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
  2. Senior Member
    I'm sorry about your grandmother.

We were in a similar situation. Because of my husband's rank, they were going to have him stay at the officers barracks (he's enlisted), it would cost him $40 a day ($1,200 for the month), and he'd have to leave the barracks after 30 days.

3. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    I'm sorry about your grandmother.

We were in a similar situation. Because of my husband's rank, they were going to have him stay at the officers barracks (he's enlisted), it would cost him $40 a day ($1,200 for the month), and he'd have to leave the barracks after 30 days.
    Thank you. My husband is only an E2 and I know he would have to stay there for more than 30 days.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tamidarleen View Post
    Thank you. My husband is only an E2 and I know he would have to stay there for more than 30 days.
    Don't quote me on this but I *think* they don't charge at that rank. I think that he'd still have a period that he'd need to be out by, whether it 30 or 90 days, and theres no guarantee that a room will be available.

Have him talk to his commander and let them know what is going on and then they'll be able to see what they can do for him.

5. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Don't quote me on this but I *think* they don't charge at that rank. I think that he'd still have a period that he'd need to be out by, whether it 30 or 90 days, and theres no guarantee that a room will be available.

Have him talk to his commander and let them know what is going on and then they'll be able to see what they can do for him.
    Thank you for the information. I'm just so nervous about this because I know that I have to go and that I don't have an option.
  6. Senior Member
    I dont even know what Geo Baching is, but I am sorry to hear about your grandmother. I will keep her in my thoughts.
  7. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AdaraMarie View Post
    I dont even know what Geo Baching is, but I am sorry to hear about your grandmother. I will keep her in my thoughts.
    Thank you so much!
  8. Senior Member
    Where have you been reading up on Geo baching? How old is the information? Geo baching used to be a thing, but it has pretty much gone away, so it is important that you are reading current information.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    There was a time my husband geo bached. We submitted paperwork several times to get it approved that he could stay in the barracks and we still get BAH. And then when he got there it was a constant change of if he could stay no charge or even stay at all. After awhile we decided it would be best for him to just move out whether they let him stay or not. We also got BAH for his duty station.

Have him speak with his superiors about what is going on. They can help advise him of what to do. Definitely check to see if he would be able to stay in the barracks (because y'all are married and he is not on unaccompanied orders they don't have to give him a room). They may also not have room for him. And even if they have room now and approve him now, it may not stay that way. If they need his room for someone they have to house they'll have him move. I'm not trying to scare you but want you to be prepared that him staying in the barracks may not happen.

There are exceptions to the BAH being for his duty station so he could talk with his superiors about that if y'all would want to try to change it. There is no guarantee that'll happen though.

I am so sorry to hear about your grandma. My heart goes out to you.
  10. Senior Member
    This is getting more and more difficult. IT's not that the rules have recently changed; it's that they are enforcing them more strictly. "Geo-bach-ing" is no longer really a n official thing. There are very rare exceptions to the policy that unless someone is on unaccompanied orders, the military provides one home and one home only, and it is in the location of the PDS. And it makes sense. Why should the tax payers provided for 2 homes for one family?

I suggest you read through the JTR yourself, and try to find the relevant passages. I suspect that moving back to care for a loved one is not one of them. Also, just because someone tells you you can do this does not mean they are correct, and that can come back to bit you in the butt, either when it is denied after you move, or if someone catches the problem (even years down the road) and they take back all the BAH they paid. So you really, really need to read through the JTRs yourself and confirm what you are told. If someone claims this is okay, ask them for the relevant JTR passage, and read it yourself to make sure it applies to your specific situation, and read the surrounding info to make sure there is nothing else that might change your eligibility for the one passage that says it's okay.

If you are moving to care for your grandma, can you not live in her home?
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast