Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: No fee passports?!

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

No fee passports?!

Advertisements
    So my husband is being located in AK. They consider it an overseas base and we need something called a no fee passports. How do I get it and what documents do I need? I'm new to this and confused on it. Thanks so much!
  2. Senior Member
    There are steps you have to take in order to get the no fee passport and the steps can vary a bit depending on branch and location. Your husband will be given all the information on what the procedure is where you are located.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Alaska, while considered OCONUS to the military, is still part of the US. You shouldn't need a passport. Where did you get this information?
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EverlastingLove View Post
    Alaska, while considered OCONUS to the military, is still part of the US. You shouldn't need a passport. Where did you get this information?
    True, but she will need one if they drive through Canada on the way to his duty station.
  5. Senior Member
    We had civilian passports so just did that because it's so much easier than going through the military. They do give them for PCS moves to Alaska if you'll be driving through Canada at all. We drove to Bellingham (from Florida), took the ferry to Haines, and then drove the rest of the way into Anchorage (going a day or so through Canada).
  6. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    My husband called me and told me for me to be able to have clearance to fly I needed something called a no fee passport. I have a civilian but they said it needed to be military, I was confused because it's still the US, just like I'm required to get a physical before I'm cleared?...I guess since we are considered overseas this is required?
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    True, but she will need one if they drive through Canada on the way to his duty station.
    I wasn't planning on driving, its a lot quicker to fly but the only way they would cover the flying is with that passport according to my husband, maybe once he's done processing and in AK he'll get better information ...it takes 8 weeks to process this stuff ��
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Eli00301 View Post
    My husband called me and told me for me to be able to have clearance to fly I needed something called a no fee passport. I have a civilian but they said it needed to be military, I was confused because it's still the US, just like I'm required to get a physical before I'm cleared?...I guess since we are considered overseas this is required?
    All the medical is required because you are at, what the military considers, an OCONUS (outside continental US) location. So the military needs to make sure you don't have any medical issues that could not be fully treated in AK. I still don't understand the need for a no-fee passport to AK, so I would definitely get a second opinion. It may very well be needed, but it seems...odd.
  9. Senior Member
    Uhm... you definitely don't need a passport to fly to Alaska....
  10. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Okay, thanks...at least that's one thing off the list!