Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Movers

1. Regular Member

Movers

Advertisements
    We will be PCSing overseas soon. We have always done DITY moves in the past, so this will be the first time having somebody pack and ship our belongings. What do you usually do while your things are being packed? Do you label or mark your boxes for easy unpacking on the other end? We will have some of our stuff going overseas while some will be going into storage. How do you ensure that things are put into the correct shipments? Do you have any systems that have worked well for you in the past? TIA
  2. Senior Member
    1) I sit in a room marked 'do not pack' on the door with my Ipad and watch movies and drink wine and think over and over how awesome it is that someone is moving me.
    2) I don't label the boxes because they do, and they've always been labeled really well in my experience.
    3) My friend just moved overseas and they had two separate movers come. First their 'storage' stuff was packed and then their 'send overseas' stuff was packed so they just separate rooms and watched them carefully during the first packing session.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  3. Regular Member
    Thanks for your input. It makes me feel better knowing that they come two separate times. I was stressing over being able to keep track of everything to make sure it went to the right location.
  4. Regular Member
    I pack irreplaceable things myself before the movers come, and I separate the storage items myself. And we always try to both be home so we can keep an eye on different parts of the house and make sure things that aren't meant to be packed, aren't.
  5. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

I packed up the things I didn't want them to touch and put them in our car so it wouldn't be accidentally packed by the movers. Took pictures of literally everything that meant anything to me that they would be packing up. Then when they got to the house, we sat around and watched them because there really isn't anything else you can do while they're doing it.

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by germy View Post
    I packed up the things I didn't want them to touch and put them in our car so it wouldn't be accidentally packed by the movers. Took pictures of literally everything that meant anything to me that they would be packing up. Then when they got to the house, we sat around and watched them because there really isn't anything else you can do while they're doing it.
    This. Except when they show up, I usually hide out in the room that we're keeping the things we're taking with us while DH hangs out with the movers and socializes with them. I also am the one who goes out and picks up meals for them while DH stays behind at the house.

7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    For our overseas move, they wouldn't insure the boxes unless they packed it. It was worth it for me to have them do it.

If it is stateside, we did those special ones ourselves.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JKBlossom View Post
    We will be PCSing overseas soon. We have always done DITY moves in the past, so this will be the first time having somebody pack and ship our belongings. What do you usually do while your things are being packed? Do you label or mark your boxes for easy unpacking on the other end? We will have some of our stuff going overseas while some will be going into storage. How do you ensure that things are put into the correct shipments? Do you have any systems that have worked well for you in the past? TIA
    Your packers should be coming on different days. We had 3 moves (household goods, UAB, and storage) and scheduled each for a different day. We divided the stuff so we could tell one set of movers to only pack this one pile in the garage or bathroom or whatever (for UAB), then all the "stuff" in those two bedrooms plus the furniture pieces we directed them too (and had marked with a specific color post-it), and then the last movers took everything that was left.

Then we also had one room--a bathroom, that was "do not pack anything". This, or our cars, is where we put important documents, my purse, suitcases, etc.

It's a pain, but you really need to gather all the smaller things in one or two rooms, and move everything else out. It's the only way to keep it organized.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DakotaCowgirl View Post
    For our overseas move, they wouldn't insure the boxes unless they packed it. It was worth it for me to have them do it.

If it is stateside, we did those special ones ourselves.
    Our transportation office told us this is no longer the case. Everything in the move is covered now, no matter who packed it. The movers do have a right to open, inspect, and/or repack anything you've packed, but if they choose not to, it is still covered.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    1) I sit in a room marked 'do not pack' on the door with my Ipad and watch movies and drink wine and think over and over how awesome it is that someone is moving me.
    2) I don't label the boxes because they do, and they've always been labeled really well in my experience.
    3) My friend just moved overseas and they had two separate movers come. First their 'storage' stuff was packed and then their 'send overseas' stuff was packed so they just separate rooms and watched them carefully during the first packing session.
    Replace wine with beer and that's me.

life's a party, rock your body
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast