Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCSing with a camper

1. Senior Member

PCSing with a camper *updated with pics*

Advertisements
    anyone done it? we're pcsing from GA to WA, and we're going to drive so we can go home to texas and then my graduation in arizona. we've got two large dogs too, and using a camper just seems to make sense, we've got a truck so hauling it is no problem. my question is, will the army reimburse us for the cost of parking spots at stops like they reimburse hotel costs?

plus, if you've done it and have any advice that'd be awesome. we're planning to stop in new orleans, LA, texas, tempe, arizona and the grand canyon, over to yosemite in CA, up to crater lake in Oregon, and then to WA. any road tripping advice or must see's along the way are appreciated too,
    Last edited by bdizzle; 02-17-2017 at 06:04 PM.

2. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    No advice but that sounds so freaking fun.

life's a party, rock your body
  3. I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    I've got 32 flavors of that bootylicious bubblegum.
    Oh except I'm from Arizona and west coast area so let me make a list of some cool things to see!

life's a party, rock your body
  4. Senior Member
    That sounds awesome! Also, there are a few fulltime RV military Facebook pages that might have some information for you on that as well as best campsites, etc. Here are the names of two of them: RV Military Families and Fulltime Families Military Fams on the Road.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  5. Senior Member
    I grew up super close to Crater Lake so I went all the time. There are lots of waterfalls not far from the lake itself and now they have walking trails going to them so they're really easy to find and get to. I believe they have maps at the visitor center that tell you how to get to all the walking trails. One of the waterfalls is right next to the road so there's no walking required to get to it. I've seen those same waterfalls dozens of times and they never get old. There are also lots of hot springs all over Oregon if you're interested in that. The Tamolitch Blue Pool is also a really pretty place to see, but the water is always extremely cold. The Oregon coast is super scenic too. Are you planning to stop by the Redwoods on your way out of California?
  6. Senior Member
    We did it during our PCS from NC to San Diego, CA. We drove from NC to home in TX, picked up my dad and his RV, drove it to San Diego, then drove north to Yosemite just for fun. I've only been to Yosemite in the spring and fall but I remember seeing postings that certain areas and roads are closed during the winter season for ice and snow so you may want to look into that. The Valley should still be open. My avatar picture is us hiking a trail that overlooks Yosemite Valley.

ETA:

Travel suggestions from places I've been that might be on your route:
    Carlsbad Caverns in NM (its a GIANT cave)
    The Grand Canyon
    Saguaro National Park (Cactus over 15 feet tall-- the ones that look like they have arms)
    San Diego and La Jolla
    Joshua Tree Natl. Park and Palm Springs
    LA, Hollywood, Watts Towers if you're into art, Disneyland, Universal Studios Hollywood
    Yosemite and The Mariposa Grove home of the giant sequoas (more massive than the redwood-- it's the one they made a tunnel for car to drive through)
    Last edited by idratherbehiking; 02-16-2017 at 03:49 PM.

7. Senior Member
    I'm not helpful but omg that sounds so fun!!
  8. Senior Member
    Sounds like fun! I liked Bryce and Zion as well. Also, the road from Phoenix to Flagstaff through Sedona is very pretty. I don't know if those will be on your trip and I don't know what time of year you will be traveling.
  9. Senior Member
    I have no advice, but that sounds fun! Post pictures and let us know how it goes :-)
  10. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

We PCS'd with a travel trailer several times. Last time being from FL to NM in '09. I'm pretty sure we got reimbursed for the lodging (space rental) and we also did a partial DITY. It's totally worth it to do it!
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast