Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Home security system

1. Senior Member

Home security system

Advertisements
    Does anyone have a home security system? Which company? Do you like it? Mind telling me how much you initially paid for installment and now pay monthly?

DH and I are moving to a different house. The one house we looked at had Vivint. But someone else put in an application before us so we didn't get that house. We put in an application for another house that doesn't have a security system. Whether we get that house or have to continue searching, I want to get a security system.

I was thinking of comparing Vivint and ADT and then deciding from there. But I know there are other companies.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I know Verizon has one that doesn't take much for installation. If you're renting be careful to clear that with the landlord first because I believe the installation can do damage/ make holes in the walls etc.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Most of them are ripoffs. You have to sign a long term contract. Huge penalty to break it early. If you move you have to take it with you to the new place or pay the penalty.
    No experience with Verizon though.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  4. Regular Member
    I have a security system with door and window sensors, indoor motion detectors, and IR cameras outside. I love it. I did NOT go through one of the major companies after being practically harassed by ADT for weeks upon first moving in. I searched for small, local companies instead and I am very happy with our current provider. Smaller companies generally have better customer service because they know their customers. And the costs are often lower without being stuck in a contract. I did not pay for installation or equipment because of personal connections, and I pay about $35 a month for cellular monitoring.

ETA: there are several wireless options for door/window sensors and motion detectors if you can't drill holes to run wires. You just need to remember to change the batteries!
  5. Moderator

We have Vivint. Installation was free. We got window/door sensors, remote garage entry, smoke/CO monitoring and a doorbell cam. It's 50 bucks a month. Our contract is very long, but it's free to move the system to another house if we move, and since we are NEVER GETTING OUT OF AUGUSTA EVER EVER EVER I didn't mind that.
  6. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    I have had a security system in every house I've ever lived in (including when I was younger living with my parents). We have used Suddenlink, ADT and Connectone as well as some other smaller local companies in the places we were living at the time.

The one thing I will say is a "wireless" system is a waste of money. The keypad they install is only connected to your house by the power outlet and can be easily ripped off the wall and completely disabled within seconds. The glass break sensors they install aren't very effective for anything over 10ft from them. The only purpose these systems serve are to be noise makers or a threat to someone who can see the keypad from outside the window.

If you want an effective home security system you need one that is hard wired into the home with sensors on all windows and a keypad that is hard wired into the home and cannot be disabled by simply ripping it off the wall.

Our current system was built into our home (we built our home) and we paid about $150 to have the keypad, sirens, sensors and motion detectors installed. Our previous homes have all been pre-wired for security system as it's something that was a must have on our home list. We pay about $45 a month for monitoring.

My parents bought one house when I was younger that wasn't previously pre-wired and paid somewhere in the area of $350-$400 to have it hard wired in.

7. Senior Member
    Oh gosh. Guess I have more to take into consideration then I originally thought. Thank you everyone! I appreciate the help!
  8. Senior Member
    We had ADT at a different house and the damn thing kept having false alarms. Gotta love the alarm going off at 3:00 AM for a false alarm. Then the police started charging us a $50 ticket for each false alarm after I think 5. ADT came out numerous times and it still kept doing it. We finally turned off the service and said to hell with it.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious_Nicole View Post
    We had ADT at a different house and the damn thing kept having false alarms. Gotta love the alarm going off at 3:00 AM for a false alarm. Then the police started charging us a $50 ticket for each false alarm after I think 5. ADT came out numerous times and it still kept doing it. We finally turned off the service and said to hell with it.
    Wow! Yeah that's a pain in the ass