Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Command spondered in europe..does spouse have to move in with service member?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Command spondered in europe..does spouse have to move in with service member?

Advertisements
    Hello again,
    Thank you for all the helpful answers on my first threat.
    Things are changing daily here and while this is my first experience with the military, I'm sure lots of you have gone through the same.

Another question came up:
    OK stating the facts first:
    Getting married (service member to german fiance, me)
    Total of 5 kids, 1 his, 4 mine
    He's stationed in Belgium
    I live in Germany
    His assignment in Belgium ends December this year, trying to get extented.
    So now:
    If he gets us command sponsored here, it will give him one more year in Belgium as far as I know.
    If I can't move right away to him ( school of the kids, one medical issue within kids) - would they still approve the command sponsorship? I mean is it our decision when we're moving to Belgium or does it have to happen as soon as the command sponsorship was approved?
    Thank you again
  2. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    If command sponsorship is approved, you can delay your arrival. Some families do it because of schools. If one of your kids have medical issues, it might prolong the CS process. Depends on what it is and what medical assistance he needs.

When are you guys getting married? Its really hard to start trying to process things prior to getting married but once you are legally married, he can get start asking questions and get things done really.

When you say "If he gets us command sponsored here" do you mean here being in Germany or Belgium. He can only get you command sponsored in the country where he's stationed at.

I am also a foreign spouse. =)
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by karidad View Post
    If command sponsorship is approved, you can delay your arrival. Some families do it because of schools. If one of your kids have medical issues, it might prolong the CS process. Depends on what it is and what medical assistance he needs.

When are you guys getting married? Its really hard to start trying to process things prior to getting married but once you are legally married, he can get start asking questions and get things done really.

When you say "If he gets us command sponsored here" do you mean here being in Germany or Belgium. He can only get you command sponsored in the country where he's stationed at.

I am also a foreign spouse. =)
    Hello
    Thank you!
    With 'here' I mean Belgium, sorry for the confusion. That's where a he's stationed at. I'm in Germany
    Oh and we don't have a date yet to get married.. there's so much to do right now and we're trying to get it all done..

Where are you from?
    Last edited by cnc7676; 01-31-2017 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Forgot something
  4. Senior Member
    I don't know how command sponsorship works with the kids that aren't his. Is their dad in the picture? You may not be able to just move them out of the country (let alone to the United States when his time in Belgium is up) without consent. Even if he isn't in the picture (bio dad) if he still has legal rights to them. Something to consider.

Also, depending on how much time he's got left in Belgium, by the time you guys get married, they may not extend his time there, if he doesn't have a lot left. Command sponsorship is a lengthy (and costly to them) process so there is no guarantee they will extend his time.
  5. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    Quote Originally Posted by cnc7676 View Post
    Hello
    Thank you!
    With 'here' I mean Belgium, sorry for the confusion. That's where a he's stationed at. I'm in Germany
    Oh and we don't have a date yet to get married.. there's so much to do right now and we're trying to get it all done..

Where are you from?
    Hi! I am from Japan. Hubby was in Spain when we got married. We were gonna get married in Gibraltar but too much paperwork so we went to the states got married then I moved to Spain w/o CS. We applied for CS there but didn't get extended because hubby was already approved for crosstraining. So we had to leave after couple months.

Honestly, if you really want to start paperwork, you guys should get married asap even with a "big wedding". We had a very small ceremony and then a year later had a big wedding. Its so much to think about but you'll get through it and later on forget all about this hassle lol
  6. Senior Member
    Does his child live with him in Belgium and do they live off post? If so, what are you expecting to gain by having command sponsorship? Since you are German, you could move to Belgium anytime you want to, even without being married can't you?
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    Does his child live with him in Belgium and do they live off post? If so, what are you expecting to gain by having command sponsorship? Since you are German, you could move to Belgium anytime you want to, even without being married can't you?
    I was thinking the same thing. Command sponsorship pretty much means that a service members spouse can live with them overseas without having to get a visa for that county. So basically so they are allowed to follow that service member to said Country. You're already allowed to reside anywhere in Europe. If you think command sponsorship will allow him to extend there, probably just being married will do so, if they will even let him. I would venture to say that once they find out you're a citizen of Europe, they won't bother with command sponsorship because what would be the point, unless I'm missing something here.
  8. Senior Member
    This. Mostly what CS gets someone is a Visa that allows them to stay in that country longer than legally allowed for a regular visitor. As an EU citizen, it sounds like you already have that right. It could come in to play if living on base is mandatory for him (either accompanied or not), I guess, and for the base clinic and schools, but usually the latter isn't a problem, and the kids could go to off base schools anyway.

So OP, give some thought on why you are even trying to get CS, and how it benefits you. Is it because you hope that will get him extended? If so, you'll also want to research whether having 6 dependents needs a waiver in his location. In many locations, it does, and that could come in to play.

I think the big concern here is figuring out if his step kids would qualify for US visas. A quick google tells me that stepkids are eligible for Tricare, so I'm assuming that means all benefits probably apply, but it's definitely something to confirm. And looking in to the bio dad's rights as well, including whether you guys will need to foot the bill for regular visits back to their dad in Europe, and other issues.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    My understanding is that her fiance is trying to extend his tour in Belgium.
  10. Senior Member
    One more thing to look in to. I was under the impression (but could very much be wrong!!) that when the spouse delays joining the service member after CS is approved, they still have to move with a certain minimum time left. I don't know if this is true, or it it applies to acquired dependents if it's true for others, but since the OP was asking about whether she has to move immediately, it's something for her to research, unless someone here knows for sure.

Also, OP, you mentioned a "medical issue" with one of the kids. Depending on severity, that could affect command sponsorship approval.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast