Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: New Military Family here, in need of advice.

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

New Military Family here, in need of advice.

Advertisements
    My wife is leaving for boot camp in 12 days, after that happens, we don't know much of what is going to happen and in which order for us.

When during boot camp will she be told where we are going to be moving?

Do we have to go to the area to apply for on base housing?

Will she come home first or will we both have to meet where her orders are?

We have a young son, does this effect the size of the house we would get on base?

How exactly does the move work? We find a place, come home, pack and move? or does the Navy come get our belongings first? Do they store it?

So many questions and no one at the recruiters office seems to want to help...

GAH!

Thanks in Advance!
  2. Senior Member
    I can only answer some of your questions, but I'll try.

After your stuff is sent, you have a couple months of free temporary storage if you haven't found a house yet, paid for by the Navy. (It's either 60 or 90 days. I think it's 90, but I forget.) After that, you *may* be able to get an extension, but that will depend on the reason.

For housing, you can probably apply online using the HEAT program, but that just gets your paperwork done. Different places have different policies on when you get placed on the wait list (based on day you check out of previous command, check in to new command, etc.).

House size is based on rank and number of dependents. So your son may or may not come in to play. (It could be that an E-3, or whatever her rank is, with one dependent gets the same as one with two, or maybe not. That varies by base, I believe.) Also, keep in mind that some locations have wait lists.

As for when you'll find out where you are going, I'm not sure how that works with PACT.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member
    My responses are in green.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua1286 View Post
    My wife is leaving for boot camp in 12 days, after that happens, we don't know much of what is going to happen and in which order for us.

When during boot camp will she be told where we are going to be moving?
    She'll go to boot camp then to school for her job. She will find out her permanent duty station towards the end of her job training school (A school).

Do we have to go to the area to apply for on base housing?
    No, you can call them over the phone and start the application process before you get there. But, some bases won't let you go active on their housing wait list until you're at that base.

Will she come home first or will we both have to meet where her orders are?
    In a lot of cases, they don't get the time to come home and help. But, she might. I wouldn't count on it though so make other arrangements just in case.

We have a young son, does this effect the size of the house we would get on base?
    Yes. I've never seen base housing with a 1 bedroom, so you would automatically qualify for a two bedroom or they may give you something larger if those aren't available.

How exactly does the move work? We find a place, come home, pack and move? or does the Navy come get our belongings first? Do they store it?
    Once she's finishing up the school for her job and she finds out where she's going next, she will meet with DMO to set up your move. You can do a PPM where you do it all yourself and get reimbursed or you can have the military do it all for you. They will come to your house, pack, drive it to your new location, and if you haven't picked out a house yet, they will hold in storage for a certain length of time until you have an address for them to deliver it to.

So many questions and no one at the recruiters office seems to want to help...

GAH!

Thanks in Advance!