Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time moving basic questions

1. Regular Member

First time moving basic questions

Advertisements
    Hello, my husband and I will be able to move together come march however I want to make sure I am doing everything correctly im aware about a paper for us to fill out for on base housing and you go on to a list basically and I've seen negative things about Lincoln housing...Is this the only housing company bases use? Also I've done some research would it be possible since this is new to both of us and first time would we be able to stay off base instead? I've been told you have to move your own things which is perfectly fine by me we've done this before just not while in the military so basically I just want to know is there any recommendations/suggestions anyone could give me when it comes to housing or moving things? Anything majorly important would be great to know as well that a first timer should know. TIA!!
  2. Senior Member
    Based on your profile I see your DH is a Marine. What state are you going to? For the Marines they have Lincoln in California and North Carolina, and NC also has Atlantic Marine Corps Communities (AMCC). We've lived on both coasts in Lincoln and in AMCC and base housing is base housing... you're always going to have pros and cons for living on or off base. And yes you can live off base as long as you can afford it.

Why are you responsible for moving all your things yourself? I'm in the middle of PCSing and my movers were here all day. I'm so over moving right now

3. Regular Member
    NC, and I was told from a friend who just came from CA that Lincoln now has them in collections and screwed them over while they were there. I suppose your right there's pros and cons to on or off base. And we're moving our own things because that's what we were under the impression of we had to do. I originally thought they would move the stuff but from what my husband's friend told him we had to and we had to pay out of our pocket if we wanted to move. Do you know if they will move it for us then? I mean if they will I'll take them up on it but if not we can move it. It's a state over from where I am however if one day it becomes CA or somewhere a ways a way then I would definitely need them moving me if they do that. Is there someone my DH or myseld could contact to know for sure? I'm guessing the base housing would be able to answer those questions
  4. Senior Member
    I'm guessing you're heading to Lejeune because Cherry Point is AMCC and Lejeune has Lincoln and AMCC depending on the neighborhood.

Is your husband already stationed there and you're recently married and just moving up to join him?

5. Regular Member
    He will be leaving from MCT from 29 palms to there so we're just trying to figure out now what our best options are as far as moving and housing I did look at Atlantic and they look pretty decent but I've found a few 2 bedroom homes for about $650-850 near base within 30 miles so we're weighing our options like you said they both have their pros and cons.
  6. Regular Member
    Also another reason we have considerd off base housing is because we believe it may be faster as far us being able to move because I have heard with the base housing we would have to wait for a house to come available where if we went off base we could possibly find something cheaper and move sooner then having to wait for a house on base. But I could be wrong again this is why I'm asking for advice ��
  7. Senior Member
    If you are on his orders, there is no reason why you should have to do the move yourself.
  8. Senior Member
    After reading through your old posts, yall got married right fter boot, he's done MCT and he's now finishing A school or MOS school and heading to his first duty station. That's one of those situations where we weren't sure if your move would be covered or not. Your best bet is for him to talk to DMO and see what they'll cover.

To answer one of your earlier questions, this is a unique situation you're in now (because of when you got married), but typically any future PCS moves will be covered by the military (they don't do In town moves if you decide to move from on-base to off).

9. Regular Member
    I'm sorry yes MOS school is what he's finishing and yes we got married on his boot leave. He spoke with his Sargent yesterday and he told him that they will give us 10 days basically to find housing and then we can move....But do we need to contact the housing of the base we will be going to if we decide to stay on base then to notify them or will they already be aware we would be moving there? Do you by any chance know if there is someone we can contact to find out about how we would get our things moved in that case? I apologize for having so many questions I just want to make sure I understand the steps of making sure we do everything correctly when it comes to get a house and moving..
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy921 View Post
    I'm sorry yes MOS school is what he's finishing and yes we got married on his boot leave. He spoke with his Sargent yesterday and he told him that they will give us 10 days basically to find housing and then we can move....But do we need to contact the housing of the base we will be going to if we decide to stay on base then to notify them or will they already be aware we would be moving there? Do you by any chance know if there is someone we can contact to find out about how we would get our things moved in that case? I apologize for having so many questions I just want to make sure I understand the steps of making sure we do everything correctly when it comes to get a house and moving..
    As far as housing is concerned, you need to find the number to the housing office at the base you're PCSing to and ask them their process for applying for housing. Some bases (like our current base) have all the application information online. Others have you fill information out and fax it to them. Either way, no they will not know you are coming or are interested in housing unless you call and place yourself on the housing list. There may or may not be a wait for housing depending on what is available.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast