Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Showing a Home

1. Moderator

Showing a Home

Advertisements
    After three years in our current house (I cannot believe we stayed in one house this long- it's crazy!!) we have outgrown it, and are moving into a larger home on post in March. In ten years in the military, we have never received orders anywhere NEAR in advance enough to give proper notice on our rental. I have never occupied a home that was being actively marketed before. This place was vacant for nine months before we moved in (I don't know how the owners survived!) and they reduced the rent so that it fit in our budget, which means over three years they have saved us a significant amount of money. I feel like the least I can do is to actively help with the marketing process so it won't sit empty for ages again.

Do you have any tips on what I can do to help a home be more appealing? Other than the obvious: keeping it in a state from which I can make it "tour-ready" very quickly at all times. That's a feat in itself, with four kids and two homeschoolers, but I'll do it. Any other thoughts?
  2. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

When we moved, our realtor suggested reducing the clutter/taking down some of our personal photos to make it easier for people to envision themselves in our house. So I took down a bunch of picture frames and knickknacks from our shelves.

Clear off all of the counters to maximize the look of the kitchen (I cleaned out a cabinet kept it empty then shoved everything in it for a showing), including the coffee pot. Obviously clean, but open all the blinds so it's a bright as can be.

Our house sold the day we listed and we had an offer over asking within 7 hours. Good luck!
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

3. Senior Member
    Take down anything too personal, nice bright lights, make it smell good.
  4. Senior Member
    Depersonalize if you can, the family photos and too many decorations are distracting to potential buyers. I would also keep it as clean as possible. Its nice that your trying to help them get the house sold in a reasonable time!
  5. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I agree with depersonalizing! Also if you can you want lots of natural light, so open blinds/curtains before anyone comes to look. I would also consider lighting some candles, nothing sickly sweet or strong but those "ocean breeze" or "clean linen" type of scents are good for just making sure the smell is pleasant.

Sidenote our house was vacant for 8 months before we sold it, it was AWFUL. I totally sympathize with people trying to sell/rent houses, especially if it's just a difficult market and they're not being unreasonable in price.
  6. Moderator

I've got no family pictures up- no decor at all, actually... except Christmas. I usually leave it up until Valentine's Day because I'm obsessed. I will take it down tomorrow. I hate natural light so I wouldn't have thought about that, thanks! I appreciate all the tips.
  7. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Make sure the bathroom counters, tub surrounds and inside the showers are clear all of that will make the bathrooms seem larger. Make sure that closets are tidy and not over stuffed so the closet space seems good. Be sure the kitchen is tidy with as little as you can have on the counter as possible and if you have a pantry it's neat and not over stuffed.

Those are the big things that I look at when I look at a home. I hope that you don't have a ton of showings to deal with and that they get the home occupied quickly!

8. Senior Member
    HATED having our home on the market when the kids were younger... keeping it "Show Ready" was an Olympic event!

Fresh flowers on the kitchen table or coffee table is a homey touch that doesn't personalize the house. Also the curbside appeal - Does your home look welcoming as the potential buyers walk up to the door? The other obvious ones have been mentioned, de-clutter and de-personalize.