Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: PCS move from Europe to US, german wife with kids going too..

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

PCS move from Europe to US, german wife with kids going too..

Advertisements
    Hello
    ok sorry for all my questions but i have quite a few. I won't spit them out all just now...I'll take it slow on you I'll start with the one that's most important
    The Situation is the following:

He's an US Army soldier, stationed in Belgium for 2 years total. 1 kid.
    Enganged to german woman, she has Kids too.
    We dont live together, I live in Germany, we're travelling back and forth.

His tour is ending in a year, he's trying to get extended. We don't have a yes or no yet, we're just trying to be prepared for any case.

Here my question:
    (we will gettting married before the PCS move)
    Do I (and the kids) have to be command sponsored to be on his orders to the States? (some said it would be enough to be married and that there would be no need for command sponsorship if you move from Europe to the US )

thank you already for trying to answer and helping me
  2. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    That's correct. No need command sponsorship pcsing back to the US. You and your kids will just have to be on the orders for the military to pay for your move. Oh, and you should be eligible to apply for US immigrant visa for free OR get reimbursed prior to moving to the US. With US immigrant visa application, you will have to do some very basic medical requirements and maybe some shots.
  3. Senior Member
    No sponsorship required. I'm not sure how immigration works for step-kids. As his wife, you and the child you have with him would be on the orders. Maybe someone here can tell you about how that works for step-children. Just because sponsorship isn't required doesn't mean you can jus go to the US. You still have to follow the immigration/visa requirements.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you very much!
    What medical exams will we have to get done for the US visa? Can we do any of that before the actual process has started (to make it maybe quicker in the end..)?
    I so appreciate your help!!
  5. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    Quote Originally Posted by cnc7676 View Post
    Thank you very much!
    What medical exams will we have to get done for the US visa? Can we do any of that before the actual process has started (to make it maybe quicker in the end..)?
    I so appreciate your help!!
    The medical exams & shots for the visa are very specific. Its very basic but you will have to apply for the immigrant visa first and then they'll send you a packet which will say what you need to get done and where. The letter will say which clinics/hospitals you can get it done.

Unfortunately, you cannot apply for an immigrant visa right now because you are not married yet. So the very first step for everything is to get married. The only other option will be to apply for a fiance visa but then you won't be on the orders when he gets an assignment. Plus, that will be complicated because he currently resides in Europe and not in the states.
  6. Senior Member
    You are bringing one child into the marriage who is also a German citizen (from what I understand). Is that child's father in the picture? You will most likely need his consent to move him/her out of the country and to apply for an immigration visa to the USA. Even if he isn't in the picture but still had legal rights to the child. So keep that in mind too.