Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fort Gordon Area

1. Senior Member

Fort Gordon Area

Advertisements
    Hey everyone! It's been FOREVER since I have been on here. My husband is now out of the Navy and has taken the status of veteran. Apparently our affiliation with the military isn't quite finished yet though! lol He has a job as an electrician apprentice and his company has given him a job opportunity to work at a job in Augusta, GA at Ft. Gordon for up to 2 years with a significant pay increase for the length of this job. We're thinking about taking the offer and possibly temporarily relocating to Augusta for the 2 years. We want to get some information on the area first. We're trying to save for our own house in AL and this pay increase would really help out with savings but we don't know whether it would be better for him to take the job for just 6 months and he just moves to Augusta, splitting a rented place with the other workers who are going or both of us relocating for the 2 years and renting our own place.

What I need to know is what the average utility bills are in the area for a 1 or 2 bedroom apartment/house. Electricity, internet, water/sewer, gas, trash, ect.
    I've been looking at apartments and saw they typically seem to run about $600-$800+. We want to stay under $1,000. We have cats as well, 4 of them but I know typically apartments only allow 2. We'll most likely have to take 2 and leave 2 with my parents if we do move. It would be amazing if we could keep all 4 with us though. Would probably have to rent a house for that though. Any suggestions on what apartments anyone has had good experiences with or any to stay away from would be amazing! As well as any areas we should avoid due to crime.

Thanks!

http://www.militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=31330&dateline=1307403724
  2. Moderator

Sooooooo I've been at Fort Gordon three times- we've been here for three years this time around. Depending on your square footage and how well your A/C handles the sweltering heat, your utilities will vary vastly throughout the year. We are currently in a house that's about 1875 sq ft, two floors with independent climate control, electric heat and A/C. Our winter electric bills are between $200 and $250. Our summer electric bills ("summer" is 8 months) are between $350 and $400. It's insane. We had a 1500 sq ft house the first time we lived here and it was not much lower there. Maybe reduce each number by 50 bucks. These numbers are comparable to other people we know, so it's not because we are using an outrageous amount of electricity- this is pretty standard. Water has consistently been between $30-50/mo in every house we've lived in, trash is about $50/quarter. Our internet is $45/mo for the highest available speed with the only provider that does NOT have a data limit, and we don't have cable so I can't give you an estimate on that. Gas is currently $2.05/gallon. To avoid crime, look in Grovetown/Martinez/Evans and avoid Augusta and Hephzibah. If the price seems too good to be true, it's probably because crime is high and schools are very bad. If it was a gated apartment community I wouldn't necessarily say no to Augusta. I think you could probably find a nice little house or townhome within your budget that would let you have at least two of the cats. I find nicer apartments around here to be overpriced for couples or families, because they are catering more to single soldiers who room together and each pull a housing allowance.
  3. Senior Member
    Dang! The electric bills are crazy down there! In Virginia we had a 900-1000 sq ft apartment and the electric bill was between $80 - $150 if I remember correctly. I know we would want at least around 900 sq ft so I know we can fit all our furniture from our last apartment.

In our last apartment we only had to pay for electricity and what ever optional things we wanted like internet and netflix, we don't use cable either. We got spoiled in VA with our apartment.

I have no idea how gas works and how much it takes to cook or heat a house/water with it. I've never lived anywhere with gas. Lol so you could tell me any price per gallon and I wouldn't know what that translates to monthly. Lol

I can see prices being raised due to the military presence. From what I have seen though it's cheaper than rent in VA. We paid $1012 a month up there for a really nice apartment. I've looked at a few that compare to that one pretty well and are around $700 or $800. So there's that atleast, I guess that makes up for the crazy electric bill a bit. Lol
  4. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LittleAngel07 View Post
    Dang! The electric bills are crazy down there! In Virginia we had a 900-1000 sq ft apartment and the electric bill was between $80 - $150 if I remember correctly. I know we would want at least around 900 sq ft so I know we can fit all our furniture from our last apartment.

In our last apartment we only had to pay for electricity and what ever optional things we wanted like internet and netflix, we don't use cable either. We got spoiled in VA with our apartment.

I have no idea how gas works and how much it takes to cook or heat a house/water with it. I've never lived anywhere with gas. Lol so you could tell me any price per gallon and I wouldn't know what that translates to monthly. Lol

I can see prices being raised due to the military presence. From what I have seen though it's cheaper than rent in VA. We paid $1012 a month up there for a really nice apartment. I've looked at a few that compare to that one pretty well and are around $700 or $800. So there's that atleast, I guess that makes up for the crazy electric bill a bit. Lol
    Oh, that was the price of gasoline for your car- I thought you'd like to know how much you'll be spending to drive around. Gas bills... well I can't even remember- our second house here had a gas furnace, but it never worked so I couldn't begin to estimate a reasonable natural gas bill.

It is DEFINITELY cheaper than rent in VA. When we were considering a position up there we realized there was NO way we could afford a house big enough for our family without an hour's commute, which is out of the question for our situation.

I think if you only need to heat/cool under 1000 square feet your electricity will be more reasonable. It is 100 degrees and 100% humidity here for at least six straight months, so that is by far the biggest cost. And they jack the price up during those months as well. It feels like extortion.
  5. Senior Member
    OMG! I didn't even think about gas for your car. I have no idea how they measure natural gas bills so just figured that was normal. lmao! That's about what it costs here in AL right now as well, for the car. lol We've been hovering right around $1.99 -$2.05 for awhile. I'm hoping we can just find a place with electricity, I don't really like cooking with gas. I grew up with an electric stove and only used a gas stove once in school for home ec. so I have no idea how all of that works. My husband would have to teach me. lol!

I really enjoyed living in VA and we got so lucky and spoiled with Holly Point being our first apartment. It felt more like a townhouse/home than an apartment there. Which is really hard to find without being really expensive. We tried to stay below $1,000 up there as well and came out at $1,012 for our apartment since we had 2 cats.

That doesn't seem right for them to up the prices during the highest use times of the year! What company do you use? I just found our GA apparently has a lot of power companies! lol As far as I know AL only has one and I didn't hear about multiples in VA either.

http://www.militarysos.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=31330&dateline=1307403724
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Here Lil buddy! Welcome back!
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  7. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by LittleAngel07 View Post
    OMG! I didn't even think about gas for your car. I have no idea how they measure natural gas bills so just figured that was normal. lmao! That's about what it costs here in AL right now as well, for the car. lol We've been hovering right around $1.99 -$2.05 for awhile. I'm hoping we can just find a place with electricity, I don't really like cooking with gas. I grew up with an electric stove and only used a gas stove once in school for home ec. so I have no idea how all of that works. My husband would have to teach me. lol!

I really enjoyed living in VA and we got so lucky and spoiled with Holly Point being our first apartment. It felt more like a townhouse/home than an apartment there. Which is really hard to find without being really expensive. We tried to stay below $1,000 up there as well and came out at $1,012 for our apartment since we had 2 cats.

That doesn't seem right for them to up the prices during the highest use times of the year! What company do you use? I just found our GA apparently has a lot of power companies! lol As far as I know AL only has one and I didn't hear about multiples in VA either.
    We use Georgia Power. I don't know anyone around here who doesn't, but there could be others! I prefer all-electric as well, which most newer construction seems to lean towards! I'm always afraid I'm going to fail at igniting a gas burner and singe my eyebrows off.
  8. Senior Member
    Hello again!
  9. Senior Member
    Someone I talked to said there was another company in certain areas that she thinks isn't as expensive and more reliable. I'll have to look into that but main thing will be narrowing down apartments to one's that have what we nees, then we can start getting picky. Lol

I hate gas. I know it's nice if your power goes out but I'm afraid I'll do something wrong too and blow up the house. Lol my sister in law asked me to start the Stove for her and I couldn't get it to light for some reaaon, had to call my husband in to do it. And he did the same thing as I did! Gas stoves don't like me. Lol
  10. Senior Member
    Hi stranger!! I don't know a whole lot about the area myself but my best friend grew up in Evans which is outside of Augusta...it's a decent area.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast