Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Because I'm a newbie

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Because I'm a newbie

Advertisements
    My boyfriend hasn't gotten his orders yet so I'm just asking in general: live on post or off? Especially for our first move.
  2. OG Member
    OG Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kmshont View Post
    My boyfriend hasn't gotten his orders yet so I'm just asking in general: live on post or off? Especially for our first move.
    If he's your boyfriend and not your husband then you won't be on his orders and he will have to live on post I believe (I think it depends on rank).

3. Senior Member
    If you're just dating then definately off because you will not have access to the base or anything on it until you're married. And, depending on rank, non married junior enlisted (below E5) have to live in the barracks (unless they're full)

4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I meant for future reference for when we do get married
  5. Senior Member
    I meant for future reference for when we do get married
    It totally depends on the place really. BAH won't get you much in certain areas but in others, the housing is old and gross so you're better off renting something. And then certain bases have really long waiting lists so you'd have no choice but to live off post until it's your turn. And thennn there are just personal preferences. Do you want to have to talk to a gate guard and show ID every time you wanna go home? Do you want the convenience of living right by the commissary? Does your husband want to limit his commute to work? Etc etc etc. there are a lot of factors to consider.
  6. Senior Member
    Totally depends on the base in my opinion.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    It depends on the area/base and you.

Some areas it will be financially better to live in housing (not all housing is on base) and others not. Some areas will have nice housing and others not. And you/he may find y'all prefer one over the other. Some people like not living in housing for the division of work and home life. Others seem to find a sense of community with it.

Personally, we prefer to not live in housing (this is our second time in 15 years living in housing). We moved in this housing (which does happen to be on base but, the other one was not...actually we found a rental closer base than the housing we were in at that time) because financially in this area it is better. But we're about to move and will not live in housing at the new area.