Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Nellis/Creech AFB

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Nellis/Creech AFB

Advertisements
    Hi everyone,
    I hope I am on the right forum thread if not I apologize still new to navigating the website
    We just got the Nellis afb a few days ago and already set up on base housing, just waiting to sign the papers and I got our 7 year old registered for the on base school. I was wondering if anyone had any help or advice for extra programs for my kiddos in the area, preferably on base. She really wants to join soccer and I saw a sports field today with kids playing in a teams. Where do I go to sign her up for a sport or other activities.

Another question I had is why is there no library on base? Do they have reading groups in the area to join for myself or my children?

I guess I am just looking for programs in the area for myself, my 7 year old and my 2 year old to get them out of the house and around other children their own age, because the youth center and CDC both have a long waiting list and cost too much for my husband and I to afford at the moment. Just want the kids to transition well and meet other kids their age and make friends.

Any advice is appreciated, thank you

lots of love from
    -Tonimausi
  2. Senior Member
    See if there is a base family Facebook page....might be able to ask there for some of the information.
  3. aBr
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

DW said there used to be a library but attendance was so few and far between that they just closed it. id look for a library in summerlin or thereabouts. Every other one I've looked up seems to be in a sketchy neighborhood.

My wife has been at nellis for a year and I just moved to Vegas in december. If you're looking for friends we should meet up! I don't have littles and haven't found a job yet so I've been bored out of my mind.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Margot31 View Post
    See if there is a base family Facebook page....might be able to ask there for some of the information.
    I attempted to join the facebook group a few times now no one will add me, it's a closed group so I have to wait to be accepted in
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by aBr View Post
    DW said there used to be a library but attendance was so few and far between that they just closed it. id look for a library in summerlin or thereabouts. Every other one I've looked up seems to be in a sketchy neighborhood.

My wife has been at nellis for a year and I just moved to Vegas in december. If you're looking for friends we should meet up! I don't have littles and haven't found a job yet so I've been bored out of my mind.
    Once we've settled into our house and things become more normalized I would love to meet up and make some friends
    Thanks for the advice on the library I will look into it.
  6. Senior Member
    I used to work at the Nellis library when it was shut down. We were told it was because there weren't enough NAF funds to support it. Come to find out that the funds went to improve the golf course.

We were quite busy when it was open.
    "You will never completely be at home again because part of your heart will always be elsewhere. That is the price you pay for the richness of knowing and loving people in more than one place."

7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by Redchicken View Post
    I used to work at the Nellis library when it was shut down. We were told it was because there weren't enough NAF funds to support it. Come to find out that the funds went to improve the golf course.

We were quite busy when it was open.

That makes me so sad.... I love libraries and books and I have shared that love with my kids. I love taking them to the library and getting a new book once a week and reading with them
  8. Senior Member
    And also apparently the guy who took over the 99th Services squadron, was known as "'the library killer" because he had the libraries at his other bases closed. He was/is more concerned about playing golf with his officer buddies.

Yeah that business about it being no busy is a total lie. The people who decided that never came in to look to see for themselves. No we maybe weren't as busy as some of the off base libraries but for a big busy base like Nellis, we were very popular. Esp with all the DVD & CD checked out.
    "You will never completely be at home again because part of your heart will always be elsewhere. That is the price you pay for the richness of knowing and loving people in more than one place."

9. Senior Member
    Are you sure he closed them on his own? Normally something like that is going to have to be approved by the Support Group Commander and the Wing Commander.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tonimausi View Post
    I attempted to join the facebook group a few times now no one will add me, it's a closed group so I have to wait to be accepted in
    Some groups require you to tell them your affiliation with the base to weed out people who don't belong. You could try PMing and admin.