Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Fort Lewis

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Fort Lewis

Advertisements
    My SO is at Fort Lee right now. He's finishing up AIT there. He had a couple weeks off and was told he'll be reporting to Fort Lewis afterward AIT. Is there anyone on here who currently lives at Fort Lewis? If so, how do you like it?

We just got married not too long ago, and we don't have any little ones yet. We also don't have any pets. I look forward to living in a new area, but I'm a bit nervous about meeting new people and finding things to do in my free time.

I would like to join him there as soon as I can. Does anyone have any tips on how to make the move a smooth transition? Since we just got married and were not living together at the time he left for basic and AIT I am not counting on the Army to assist with my move- but is it a possibility? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  2. Senior Member
    Check and see if there is a family/spouse Facebook page for your new post. I would also reach out to the ombudsman/key spouse or what ever they call them in the army if you know what command your spouse will be attached to. That way you can get some info about the area.
  3. Senior Member
    We are headed to Fort Lewis this May

There is spouses group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/774244812666004/

I've heard nothing but good things about the area. There's a lot to do outside, Seattle isn't far at all. However, I have heard that there is a really long wait for base housing. I don't know what rank your SO is, but for us there is a 9-12 month wait. So be prepared to live off post. Without pets you should easily be able to find a rental.