Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orders to NC- In need of advice on the move

1. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Orders to NC- In need of advice on the move

Advertisements
    Hi my name is Jess and my husband and I will be making our first base move since he has been in! I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to organize before the move. We only have three weeks and they told us that the moving company would be coming in to pack all of our stuff for us. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to go about getting ready for them, the "do's" & " donts"! Any info is much appreciated. 😊
  2. Senior Member
    Hi
    I'll be PCSing to NC in a couple of weeks too.

This is a popular topic so there are a ton of PCS threads on here you can read through.

- Make sure to keep your keys and purse on you (or locked away in a room the movers can't get to) at all times! There's nothing worse than digging trough all those boxes because a mover accidentally packed them.
    - keep all documents and stuff you're bringing with you in your car or locked in a room.
    - take pictures of your stuff and videos of you electronics working.
    - put your silverware in baggies or else you'll have to unwrap every.single.one.
    -take batteries out of everything.
    -separate out your liquids so they don't get packed.
    -take everything off the walls before the movers arrive.

Pay attention to them as they pack - don't hover but be present. Make sure to read what condition they write your objects are in. Provide them water and lunch if you want.

3. Senior Member
    Pack everything you need for your car. So clothes, uniforms things like that. Take all important documents in your car. All good jewelry. At the day of packing put them in a bathroom that the packers can't touch same with the day it goes on a truck either in your car or bathroom. Anything you don't want them taking have it go in the cars with you. If you have weapons you take them. A friend had a gun stolen cause it got packed up.

Pack your spices in zip locks...saves money in the long run and a mess. take photos of all electronic serial numbers,

That's what i have at this moment but I know there is plenty of others people might come up with.

Once you get to NC I would recommend taking a LINKS class too. Lots of great information.
  4. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Thank you so much! That is exactly the info I was looking for! We will be buying a house as well so we really didn't know what kinds of things we should take in our car and what we should just let the movers pack. We also will have an 11 month old baby traveling with us so we are a little anxious!
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JessDav7 View Post
    Thank you so much! That is exactly the info I was looking for! We will be buying a house as well so we really didn't know what kinds of things we should take in our car and what we should just let the movers pack. We also will have an 11 month old baby traveling with us so we are a little anxious!
    Make sure the the diaper area has no diapers. They have been known to pack up trash and diapers from the diaper genie.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Hi
    I'll be PCSing to NC in a couple of weeks too.

This is a popular topic so there are a ton of PCS threads on here you can read through.

- Make sure to keep your keys and purse on you (or locked away in a room the movers can't get to) at all times! There's nothing worse than digging trough all those boxes because a mover accidentally packed them.
    - keep all documents and stuff you're bringing with you in your car or locked in a room.
    - take pictures of your stuff and videos of you electronics working.
    - put your silverware in baggies or else you'll have to unwrap every.single.one.
    -take batteries out of everything.
    -separate out your liquids so they don't get packed.
    -take everything off the walls before the movers arrive.

Pay attention to them as they pack - don't hover but be present. Make sure to read what condition they write your objects are in. Provide them water and lunch if you want.
    Can't agree more, especially with the bolded. I wasn't there when our things were packed, but I went over the list when the movers got to the new house and was shocked to see that they had written that basically all of our furniture was in horrible condition. We had one dresser that had a few scratches, but none of them were as bad as they had marked them as. I also had a few necklaces go missing, but I can't be sure if it was my sisters or the movers who took them, so definitely keep any nice jewelry with you.
  7. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    Thank Y'all so much for all the insight! All of this info is extremely helpful. ☺️
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    Can't agree more, especially with the bolded. I wasn't there when our things were packed, but I went over the list when the movers got to the new house and was shocked to see that they had written that basically all of our furniture was in horrible condition. We had one dresser that had a few scratches, but none of them were as bad as they had marked them as. I also had a few necklaces go missing, but I can't be sure if it was my sisters or the movers who took them, so definitely keep any nice jewelry with you.
    I've heard of them doing that, that's so shady

Quote Originally Posted by JessDav7 View Post
    Thank Y'all so much for all the insight! All of this info is extremely helpful. ☺️
    I forgot to mention, bring any irreplaceable things with you like family photos and albums. I remember one of the wives at my base had the movers packed their photo albums and baby mementos and the box had gotten lost in the move. She was frantic to get them back and I just felt so awful for her

9. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie

Thumbs Up Diapers

Thank you! That is a good one to remember! lol no one wants that coming back!
  10. Old Newbie
    Old Newbie
    I was honestly shocked when my husband was telling me too last night that stuff really does go missing and doesn't end up on the inventory! I mean I know there are some shady people out there, but my goodness. I'm so nervous for mine, my husbands, and our children stuff
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast