Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Yakota and pets question

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Sad Yakota and pets question

Advertisements
    Can someone please answer this? I have three pets and I am so scared we can't go to Japan because we wont find a house or be able to live on base!
  2. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I haven't been to Japan but I have heard that housing with even 1 or 2 pets is difficult to get. I would absolutely not get a third. I'm sorry, I know that isn't what you want to hear
  3. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

I moved your post and a reply into it's own thread since the old one was over a year old.

This link: Air Force Housing - Local Community Has a lot of Yakota info, as well as email address for specific questions. There is also a DSN number that the military member can call from work.

Just from my own AF base housing experience, there has always been a two pet limit for base housing. Some bases have breed restrictions as well. Your best bet would be to email or call the housing office directly.
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  4. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    Call the housing office. Also find out how our being sent there. If you go by military plane it's usually a two pet limit. Otherwise you could be looking at more out of pocket costs with plane rides.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

5. Senior Member
    Assuming you will go to Okinawa I have found this:
    Air Force Housing - Okinawa

Okinawa has a Joint Service Pet Policy for the ownership and control of pets in all Military Family Housing (MFH) areas. Certain dog breeds are prohibited in all MFH (i.e, Pit Bull/Bull Terrier, Doberman Pinscher, Rottweiler, Chow, Canid-Wolf Hybrids, etc). Exotic animals such as, but not limited to, reptiles, rodents (other than hamsters and guinea pigs), ferrets, hedgehogs, skunks, rats, raccoons, squirrels, pot bellied pigs, monkeys, arachnids, or any farm animals are not permitted in government housing.

All pet owners must ensure their dogs and cats are properly registered with the Base Veterinary Facility (VTF) within three days (72 hours) of arrival. All MFH residents will be required to complete the Pet Registration Form prior to assignment to MFH. Two domestic pets per household, defined as a cat, dog or a combination, are allowed in single dwelling units, duplexes, multiplex units and towers. In tower buildings, cats are allowed on all floors; however, dogs are only allowed on the first and second floors. For more information regarding the Pet Policy, please refer to the link provided under Featured Documents. Please remember that having a pet does not guarantee you placement in a particular housing unit. Placement is based on availability and the member's entitlement. The non-availability of pet friendly housing is not a justification to turn down a housing offer.

Having 3 pets won't prevent you from being sent to Japan. The military could care less how many pets you own. However, it looks like you are only allowed to bring two with you into housing. You will have to make other arrangements.
  6. Senior Member
    She's going to Yokota, not Oki.

Unless it has changed, there is a 2 pet limit for military housing (according to a friend stationed there; I'm in Japan but not Yokota). Depending on your husband's rank and the current policy, you may be required to live in military housing, in which case you could not bring 3 pets. Have you husband contact the housing office there to find out the current policy.

You need to look into what it takes to bring even 1 pet overseas, and get started. It is a long process involving chipping and shots and titer tests and quarantine. Start *immediately*.

Also, the limit for the Patriot Express (military flight) is 2 pets, so you'd have to ship the other one on your own, possibly unaccompanied if they put you on the PE flight, which can be extremely expensive.

Lastly, even if you are able to live out in town and are willing and able to pay for your 3 pets to be transported, finding a rental that allows 3 pets might be extremely challenging, especially if they are larger. It may be possible, but be preapared to spend more than OHA and/or live far away or in places that are less desirable. The Japanese don't tend to have many pets per family, and they also don't usually have larger animals and can be unwilling to rent to someone who does. We had a friend with a lab who found a good rental, but it took a while, and she only had the 1 animal.

I know it's a bit too late for this now, but I always say that military families in almost all situations should not get more than 2 pets and should avoid most exotics for exactly these reasons. It's why so many military families end up rehoming pets. The lifestyle of frequent moves, needing rentals, and possibly being sent overseas just isn't conducive to that kind of pet ownership.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. Senior Member
    From the Yokota (spelled with an "o", not an "a" which might help you google information) website. Bolding mine.

Pet Policy in Government Family Housing
    Aggressive or potentially aggressive dog breeds are not allowed on the installation. For complete information, see the Air Force Pet Policy.

Yokota Specific Pet Restriction
    - Garden Units: Authorized up to two dogs and/or cats--no more than two, total
    - Designated Towers, first two floors: Authorized up to two dogs and/or cats--no more than two, total

Contact an HMO counselor in advance to check the availability of a pet friendly tower unit before shipping dogs and/or cats. We cannot guarantee that a pet friendly unit will be available when you arrive. If you elect to bring your pet and wait for pet friendly unit, your TLA entitlement may be terminated.
    And regarding being allowed to live off base. This isn't totally clear, as there's no way to know whether they have housing available You can call (or try to joining a Yokota Facebook group and ask there) to see whether generally everyone is required to live on base or not right now. But essentially, if they have the size of house you qualify for, you have to live on base, per below.

On 4 Oct 2012, 374 AW/CC rescinded YAB "On-Base First Policy" and superseded with "Housing Assignment Procedures". Compliance with these procedures is mandatory in order to maximize use of existing and available housing inventory while meeting specific AF goals and requirements. Military members assigned to Yokota are required to reside in base housing when adequate housing is available. For more details, please see the 'Housing Assignment Procedures" uploaded under Featured Documents.

Contact the Yokota Housing Management Office (HMO) if you have questions about the housing eligibility at Yokota at DSN (315) 225-8636 or commercial number 81-425-52-2510; after the 2nd dial tone, enter 58636 and/or send an e-mail to 374ceshousing@us.af.mil.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski