Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Last Day of Work Opinions

1. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Dance Last Day of Work Opinions

Advertisements
    Soooo DH's detailer told him exactly what his orders are as of right now yesterday so he's done here April 7th and he is in training until April 28th. So now I get to decide what will be my last day of work; I'm torn between April 14th and April 28th (I have to leave at the end of a pay period so these are the only options). We hope to be leaving and on our way to FL by May 17th. My "dilemma" is that my brother is getting married the 22nd of April so I will be in Boston from April 21-April 24.

What date would you chose? I'm personally not sure its worth taking leave and then coming back to work for 3.5 days. But I also don't want to be bored out of my mind when DH is in training (this is our first separation longer than a week). Is there a lot for me to do to prepare for the movers to come? Or should I stay the extra few days at work to keep myself sane? any opinions
  2. Senior Member
    I would say leave on the 14th. For me I do some prep-work way before the move but there are things to do before the pack-out. So just before the movers come in I pack myself, all my spices, silverware (or at least put them in bags so they aren't all over the bottom of a box) take photos of serial numbers on electronics, take inventory on certain things like my china. Take things off the walls so holes can be filled in later. While most of that all can take a day just having some down time also before the move is nice. Having some of that spread out also gives you a chance to really go through everything.
  3. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    I'd definitely do the 14th. It's only 2 weeks and some of that time will be at your brother's. There's a ton of stuff you can do in the area to keep yourself busy. Come up to DC and do all the things you like or haven't done yet before you move!
    ~Becca~

4. Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    Dancing Backwards in High Heels
    If you can afford it, I would make the end day sooner. For me, I need every penny thanks to student loans so I'd stay to the bitter end. There's always a bunch of last minute things that need to get done before a move.

Possibly talk to your employer too to see what will work better for them? Maybe they would like you to come back those last few days to help train your replacement?
  5. Senior Member
    Yeah I'd rather risk being bored than possibly be strapped for time later.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

If you can make it work between pay and your/or training if need be, I would choose the 14th. It just gives you some extra time to get things together. Those last few days before a move (and having to deal with a wedding and all that) are a whirlwind of things to do. It'll just give you a few extra days for that stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Brite View Post
    There needs to be a blowing rainbows, sunshine, butterflies, and happiness up an asshole smiley.
    ]
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Margot31 View Post
    I would say leave on the 14th. For me I do some prep-work way before the move but there are things to do before the pack-out. So just before the movers come in I pack myself, all my spices, silverware (or at least put them in bags so they aren't all over the bottom of a box) take photos of serial numbers on electronics, take inventory on certain things like my china. Take things off the walls so holes can be filled in later. While most of that all can take a day just having some down time also before the move is nice. Having some of that spread out also gives you a chance to really go through everything.
    that's what I was thinking too; it gives me more time to really sort and pack what we need without DH being there since I kind of feel like packing and stuff is something I do better in solitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by brahette View Post
    I'd definitely do the 14th. It's only 2 weeks and some of that time will be at your brother's. There's a ton of stuff you can do in the area to keep yourself busy. Come up to DC and do all the things you like or haven't done yet before you move!
    true. we'll have to have some girls/wine nights or something haha I have a feeling I'm going to be an anxious ball of nerves.
    Quote Originally Posted by HisJuliet View Post
    If you can afford it, I would make the end day sooner. For me, I need every penny thanks to student loans so I'd stay to the bitter end. There's always a bunch of last minute things that need to get done before a move.

Possibly talk to your employer too to see what will work better for them? Maybe they would like you to come back those last few days to help train your replacement?
    We can afford for me to leave earlier and I had originally planned to leave much earlier (end of March but we though he'd have to report earlier). I have no idea what last minute things need to be done haha I haven't done a big move in almost 10 years and I've never done a move with movers as an adult.

I already talked to my employer months ago when we thought it was March and they aren't planning on replacing me immediately; there are four of us that do my job so they aren't to concerned with continuity. I did request a transfer so if that comes through it would change everything and I'd prob have to go to FL before he does but so far I have heard nothing about that materializing.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Yeah I'd rather risk being bored than possibly be strapped for time later.
    yea this was my original thought so I guess I really should just listen to my gut.
    Quote Originally Posted by JennyJennJenn View Post
    If you can make it work between pay and your/or training if need be, I would choose the 14th. It just gives you some extra time to get things together. Those last few days before a move (and having to deal with a wedding and all that) are a whirlwind of things to do. It'll just give you a few extra days for that stuff!
    thanks originally we thought my brother's wedding would be in the middle of DH's 30 days of leave and would work perfectly of course that changed haha.
  9. Senior Member
    I would stay. You still have more than half of the month of may to pack and get organized etc. I can't imagine needing a full month full-time to prep for a move. Also, even if you can afford it, having that extra pay cheque surely can't hurt.
  10. Wine-o
    Wine-o
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild*Rose View Post
    true. we'll have to have some girls/wine nights or something haha I have a feeling I'm going to be an anxious ball of nerves.
    Yassss! I get off work at 4 so am free weekdays after that!
    ~Becca~