Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PCS-- I have many questions

1. Regular Member

PCS-- I have many questions

Advertisements
    My fiancee and I are getting married in April. We have both decided that since we have no kids and want to explore we should PCS overseas. Our top choices are England, Germany and Italy and plan on having my fiancee put in the request a month after we are married. That way I have time to get my ID, sign up for Tricare and DEERS. Has anyone ever PCS overseas? Where too? How long does the whole process take? My fiancee just got promoted and re enlisted, does this mean he has a chance to move more than anyone else?

I also heard that both parties have to pass a medical screening. Is this true? What can prevent me from going if I wasn't able too? I had a siezure last year but I am on medication and haven't had one since.
  2. Regular Member

PCS- how does it all work?

My fiancee and I are getting married in April. We have both decided that since we have no kids and want to explore we should PCS overseas. Our top choices are England, Germany and Italy and plan on having my fiancee put in the request a month after we are married. That way I have time to get my ID, sign up for Tricare and DEERS. Has anyone ever PCS overseas? Where too? How long does the whole process take? My fiancee just got promoted and re enlisted, does this mean he has a chance to move more than anyone else?

I also heard that both parties have to pass a medical screening. Is this true? What can prevent me from going if I wasn't able too? I had a siezure last year but I am on medication and haven't had one since.

We also have a dog. Can the military move them or do we have to hire a third party?
  3. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Hello OP, I merged your threads as posting identical threads in different sections of the board is against our TOS, there's a link to the TOS in the post I made in your newbie thread.
  4. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    Is he Air Force? This all depends on his career field and what assignments are open for his rank at the time. Also, depends if he meets the requirements to pcs overseas like time on station, high year tenture, etc.
  5. Senior Member
    They will not pay to mov your dog, and it can be extremely expensive. Depending on where you go, there can also be a very long process which includes shots and tests and a quarantine (which is really just not having your dog be around other dogs, basically, and not an actual quarantine where he's locked away). *If* you are on a military flight (which some locations have and others don't and even for those that do you may or may not be on that flight), it is much cheaper.

Yes, you both have to pass a medical screen and yes, your seizure history and medication could prevent you from passing it. That doesn't mean it will, but it is a possibility. That take any medical condition pretty seriously because once you are overseas, they are responsible for getting care for you and everyone else, and it can be very expensive to do that, especially if they have to fly you back to the States. And since military medical care is limited, sending someone who need more appointments (or even who just has a higher chance of ending more appointments) can throw off the system and mean that they don't have enough capacity for everyone.

I've done 3 overseas moves (Navy), and each only took about 4-6 weeks for final appointment and approval. *HOWEVER*, that was after I had all of the medical stuff taken care of, and after I had my no-fee passport. You can apply for the no-fee in conjunction with everything else, so you're waiting times are concurrent. You need to have current pap smears, all your vaccinations, a dental cleaning and no outstanding dental issues, and more. You can start that stuff now. (Note that different branches are different, and also there is a lot of variance in what individual people experience, but I could get started on all those things right away. Better to have and not need than to have it slow you down. Use the forum search for "overseas medical screen" and you can find more info about what specifically you want to have.)
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by karidad View Post
    Is he Air Force? This all depends on his career field and what assignments are open for his rank at the time. Also, depends if he meets the requirements to pcs overseas like time on station, high year tenture, etc.
    Yeah he is Air Force. He tried years ago to move but they didn't approve it. Now that he got promoted and re enlisted we hope he will get picked. It does all depend on if they have room for him to move.
  7. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    They will not pay to mov your dog, and it can be extremely expensive. Depending on where you go, there can also be a very long process which includes shots and tests and a quarantine (which is really just not having your dog be around other dogs, basically, and not an actual quarantine where he's locked away). *If* you are on a military flight (which some locations have and others don't and even for those that do you may or may not be on that flight), it is much cheaper.

Yes, you both have to pass a medical screen and yes, your seizure history and medication could prevent you from passing it. That doesn't mean it will, but it is a possibility. That take any medical condition pretty seriously because once you are overseas, they are responsible for getting care for you and everyone else, and it can be very expensive to do that, especially if they have to fly you back to the States. And since military medical care is limited, sending someone who need more appointments (or even who just has a higher chance of ending more appointments) can throw off the system and mean that they don't have enough capacity for everyone.

I've done 3 overseas moves (Navy), and each only took about 4-6 weeks for final appointment and approval. *HOWEVER*, that was after I had all of the medical stuff taken care of, and after I had my no-fee passport. You can apply for the no-fee in conjunction with everything else, so you're waiting times are concurrent. You need to have current pap smears, all your vaccinations, a dental cleaning and no outstanding dental issues, and more. You can start that stuff now. (Note that different branches are different, and also there is a lot of variance in what individual people experience, but I could get started on all those things right away. Better to have and not need than to have it slow you down. Use the forum search for "overseas medical screen" and you can find more info about what specifically you want to have.)
    We do plan on moving our dog regardless, I did find a company that will do it for like $500. He's had all his shots and has been through puppy training. I honestly think he will be fine but I really do want to bring him with me. I have only had to make one appointment a year for my seizure. That is just basically to renew my prescription and that is about it. I will have my fiancee look into it before he requests to move that way we can know for sure. All my doctors appointments are current too, mainly because I am paranoid about that stuff. Thanks for helping me out.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    There may also be breed restrictions on bases or different countries.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  9. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem01 View Post
    Yeah he is Air Force. He tried years ago to move but they didn't approve it. Now that he got promoted and re enlisted we hope he will get picked. It does all depend on if they have room for him to move.
    Hopefully, he gets something this time. Next week is the next overseas cycle which he can see which are open for his job/rank. Higher chance if he applies for extended long tour.

We just came from England and I still miss it every single day. Germany should be fun too, so many different countries driving distance. Italy is beautiful. Are those the only ones you want to go to? Does your hubby have a job at the Netherlands, Belgium, Spain, Japan, etc?
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem01 View Post
    We do plan on moving our dog regardless, I did find a company that will do it for like $500. He's had all his shots and has been through puppy training. I honestly think he will be fine but I really do want to bring him with me. I have only had to make one appointment a year for my seizure. That is just basically to renew my prescription and that is about it. I will have my fiancee look into it before he requests to move that way we can know for sure. All my doctors appointments are current too, mainly because I am paranoid about that stuff. Thanks for helping me out.
    How can you already have found a price when you have no idea where you'll be moving? Also, being current on vaccinations doesn't matter. Many countries require special things for rabies that go way beyond just having the shot. Titers have to be checked and then the quarantine period starts, and all that must be done after they have an approved ID chip implanted. Depending on location and size of dog, it can be $1000 or more. You can't really know until you know where you are going. And again, you can try to get on a military flight, which is much cheaper, but the same import rules still apply (and vary based on locations).

Also, it doesn't matter whether you only need 1 appointment. I mean, that's better than needing weekly appointments, but they don't just look at what you need ow. That's a fundamental misunderstanding about the program, and one that so many people have. You might be fine, but don't go in thinking that because it is 1 appointment a year, it won't be an issue. You should probably be enrolled in the EFMp program, but different branches are very different on that so I don't want to give you Navy advice for an Air Force situations.
    Last edited by villanelle; 10-25-2016 at 07:33 AM. Reason: typos
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast