Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spouse going first

1. Senior Member

Spouse going first

Advertisements
    Is there anyway for a spouse to go to a new duty station first? DH was supposed to go to ranger school in nov, striker in march, and PCS this summer to Washington. I start school in the fall in washington state. Well he was just told he might not be going until January, which really puts a kink in things :| Is there any feasible way for me to go first if he has orders? can I get housing without him? I'm pretty sure the answer is no but if push comes to shove we have to figure it out so I can be in WA by the fall. any advice?

2. Senior Member
    I'm pretty sure there is nothing you can do. You're not gonna get housing until he PCS's I'm like 99.9% sure. Unfortunately it sounds like you will have to pay for housing yourself until he gets out there.
  3. Senior Member
    If it's possible for you two financially you could move down on your own and find a month to month or short term stay apartment until he is able to be there. Taking over a lease might be another option.
  4. Senior Member
    Will he have housing during school, like barracks? If so, can you put most of your stuff in storage and then get a place off base in Washington. At least that way you will only have one household to support. You would just have to fly back to coordinate moving your things. Or maybe there is a roommate from your program that you can rent a room from for a few months? Congrats on school!
  5. Senior Member
    we currently live on post. I don't think he'd be able to go into the barracks. he might be able to live with a friend or something though, I'm not sure.

ffffuuuuuuccck. I really just wish the army would stop screwing up my shit

6. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

I've only heard of this being possible if it's a follow on for a short tour, but that being said.....since it has happened, it's worth trying to see if they can do it. They occasionally break their own rules. When DH was at tech school, another guy who was changing career fields convinced them to give him BAH for his house in Vegas and let him stay in the barracks in Florida. I think it depends on who you ask and what kind of day they're having Good luck
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Until you check in, you can't get into housing. Added, you will only get BAH for where the active duty member is stationed. There is a change that orders can be changed and he would be sent somewhere else.

Sorry you are going through this.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  8. Moderator

Are his schools considered TDYs?
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    we currently live on post. I don't think he'd be able to go into the barracks. he might be able to live with a friend or something though, I'm not sure.

ffffuuuuuuccck. I really just wish the army would stop screwing up my shit
    This is not going to happen ... sowwwy
  10. Senior Member
    You can move once he has orders - meaning you can schedule the movers to pick up your stuff and move it to your new location. It also means you should be able to move yourself, meaning drive to the new location. After he moves, he would fill out his travel claim and show that you moved separately so the military will pay for both your moves (per diem, MALT). Double check the JTR on this last bit though to make sure it can still be done.

You could partial PPM when you move, rather than move all your stuff, so you would have some stuff with you. You can also have the movers come and put your stuff in storage (except the stuff you are taking with you) but the problem is you only get 90 days of storage, so you would have to time that correctly. He will still get BAH for his current duty station until he moves. If you can work it out to store your stuff and he can live with a friend, that means the BAH can go toward your rent. If you are hoping to move on base at his new location, that will not happen until he is at the new location.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast