Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How far in advance...? (a PCS question)

1. Senior Member

How far in advance...? (a PCS question)

Advertisements
    How long before your PCS move date do you start looking at places to rent?

We usually go with base housing, but I really want to live off base where we're headed.

2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    A lot depends on when and were we are going. We have always found a place in the 10 days of moving that are allotted. I would maybe look just to see the price and what area I wanted to go into; but, I didn't want to go too far out as those would be gone before I got there.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  3. Regular Member
    Do not rent without seeing in person first
  4. Senior Member
    I start about 6 months out w/out orders to get an idea of the area and all. If there more desirable areas vs non, how much can you really afford for wants/needs. I would get on family Facebook pages for that base/post and start there of where people recommend.
  5. Senior Member
    We started looking almost immediately, so maybe 4-5 months? We ended up in base housing after all. Albuquerque is too sketch for me.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  6. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire

We started about 2-3 months before we moved but we did not rent anything until we saw it in person.
  7. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

When we PCS'd here we were pretty much looking right away. We looked online and also contacted a realtor and she sent us places to look. We set up an appointment with her so as soon as we arrived she could take us to look at the places on our shortlist and see which one fit us best. We still had to pay some time at the hotel out of pocket but we made it work ... if it we were renting instead of buying I think we definitely would've been good on time.
  8. Regular Member
    ahrn.com
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I'm starting looking now for April to get an idea of what's available and the different neighborhoods. We're going down in February and hope to lock something down then to move into in April
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    My husband got verbals in June and we've been looking since. It's obviously too early to secure something but we've narrowed down where we want to live (we've also lived there before so we have a knowledge of the area we wouldn't otherwise) and the amount of money we want to spend (we always have a number in mind but like to look to make sure that number is realistic). We've also been flipping between renting and buying. One thing we're going to do since it seems there a lot of houses that sit on the market for several months to 1+ year is that we'll be approaching houses for sale if they'd be open to renting. The cold market is one of the reasons we're not convinced to buy there at this time.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast