Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: PCS and Unaccompanied Baggage

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

PCS and Unaccompanied Baggage

Advertisements
    Been 5 yrs since last PCS. Moving back to mainland from Hawaii. Has anyone used unaccompanied baggage/express shipment lately? I'm hearing horror stories of express shipments arriving after HHGs. Apparently the new DPS system is the cause. Any thoughts, suggestions, advice? I'd like to have my essentials at new PCS and can't pack all in luggage on plane.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We did with our last move and didn't have issues. That was over a hear ago though.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  3. Senior Member
    For all of our OCONUS PCSes, we were specifically told that UAB doesn't necessarily get their faster, and the point is mostly to allow you to have stuff to live on on both sides. So it's more of way to split things up than to get stuff their quickly. You ship your UAB weeks before your HHG, so that it does get there earlier, and you are living off your HHG. That way, even if they take the same amount of time to arrive, if you've send your UAB a month in advance, it should arrive at your location before or shortly after you do.

So plan to send your UAB at least 4 weeks ahead, if not more, and it should make it to your gaining location with decent timing. Also, since you mentioned luggage, keep in mind that most airlines have very generous baggage allowances for those traveling on PCS orders. (I think Delta is 4 bags per person and American is 5, but you'd want to confirm on the airline website, and I like to print the policy and have that with me or have the page bookmarked on my phone, in case the person working the counter isn't familiar.)
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Junior Member
    We heard those stories too .. so we shipped our UB about 3 weeks before we were due to leave Germany. A few weeks later my husband received an email that our UB had arrived in Alabama. We hadn't even left Germany at that point! We did PCS in April though so it wasn't the busiest time of year.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you all for responding. I guesstimated shipping early was the best course. Just that these orders were unexpected and have less than a month to process and depart now. I appreciate your feedback.
  6. Senior Member
    Another thing to consider is whether you anticipate a long hotel stay in your new place. When we arrived in Germany, we had our UAB delivered to the hotel. We'd planned on that, so we made it fairly small, but it was nice to have some comforts and conveniences for our 59 day hotel stay. You have to move everything from the hotel to your new house, but it was well worth it for us.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    When coming back from Germany, we sent out HHG 2 months a head of time. It was there when we arrived. We shipped our UAB 2 weeks before we left because we could use the rental stuff on base. They didn't have that at our gaining base.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz