Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Here, there, and everywhere (A question about shipping HHG over seas)

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Here, there, and everywhere (A question about shipping HHG over seas)

Advertisements
    The idea of PCSing over seas is exciting however when my husband left for Korea unacompanied we wasn't thinking about our next PCS being overseas. The kids and went to live with my parents. Long story short most of our HHG are in storage, some of our stuff is at my parents, and of course my husband has his work gear in the ROK. We had request to PCS to ft hood when he gets back but he got a call for a Col directly about needing him in Guam when he gets back from Korea. Our plan was to do a partial ditty move.He will need has gear in the state bc he will TDY in route to ft sill for 3 weeks in training. Has anyone PCS oversea and had a situation like this where some stuff was in storage and some stuff was not. I don't even know where the storage unit is other then somewhere near or in ft Bragg. We had the military store it. We were told something to the affects we would not be able to get anything out of storage or add anything until we call to have it delivered. If anyone knows who to call to ask what our options are that would be great.
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AshleyB85 View Post
    We were told something to the affects we would not be able to get anything out of storage or add anything until we call to have it delivered. If anyone knows who to call to ask what our options are that would be great.
    That is what I have always heard with regards to OCONUS to OCONUS moves. The military is paying for storage and for the most part things can only come out of storage because they are being delivered. Storage facilities do not typically have the space to be able to open all the boxes to look for things and then repack them. You MIGHT be able to get certain boxes/items that are currently being stored delivered to Guam. He will need to contact TMO and ask them about your options regarding his items in Long Term Storage.
  3. Senior Member
    I personally know someone who as able to get some storage items out and shipped to her overseas. Her story is a little different. She PCSed overseas, then got a job and found she needed some of her items that she'd stored, and she told me she was able to get the inventory numbers and have items shipped to her. Her's was from non-temporary storage, and I can't tell from your post if yours is NTS or temporary.

That said, we were told something different. We PCSed to Japan, and stored stuff (NTS) in the States. Then we PCSed to Germany, then to the States short term, and then back to Japan. In Germany, we knew we wanted some of the stored stuff when we got back to Japan, and we were told it would be all or nothing with getting the NTS stuff. But my friend's experience was different, so maybe if you push hard enough, you can make it happen. Good luck. We'll have been without our NTS stuff for about 9 years (assuming we finally get Stateside after Japan) and we would have made very, very different decisions had we known. It sucks.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski