Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: PCSing to Guam

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

PCSing to Guam

Advertisements
    We don't have the official orders yet but it's pretty much a done deal. DH gets back stateside from Korea in Feb then will PCS with TDY in route to ft sill for three weeks training. Guessing April/Mayish for report date in Guam depending classes dates and if he will get some leave. My biggest thing is both our cars are getting old. We will sale both before we leave and just get one to have in Guam. Should we buy Stateside and have it transfer? Does the army pay all the fees to ship one car over there? Should we buy there? Is there a lot of options? I would like a used Toyota Highlander, light color, cloth seats, around a 2013. I see a lot of cars and vans in dark colors on the used car deal sites in Guam. Has anyone leased a car while overseas. I have only bought used cars before and never leased a car. What happens if you move back before the lease is up or more likely the lease is up before you leave? If you ship your car over how long does it take to get it and does the army pay for a rental until you get it. Not sure my car will wait until we get over there. It run ok but it does funny things sometime. It's making my nervous. I don't know I can get a car seat and two boosters in DHs truck if my car dies. TIA
  2. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    Hi! We just arrived in the island last month. DO SHIP A CAR! I repeat, SHIP A CAR! We shipped one car and bought another one here. The cars here are crazy expensive! Our original budget for a 2nd car was under 5k. Preferably around 3k. We've looked at websites, dealerships, craigslist, etc. First, we got scammed with Craigslist, thank goodness we knew after 2nd message exchanged. Online and dealerships are good source. However, the dealership OMG are too expensive. We've looked at cars at 5k range and it was filthy inside, dusty, some has dents or cracks on the outside and I'm talking about 7-10 yr old cars. In the end, we ended up buying a 7k car from another military personnel. I would even encourage to ship a 2nd car if its not too expensive.
  3. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    We came from England and shipped our car on June 3rd. Its suppose to get here by Sept 6.

I see a lot of big SUVs here and trucks. Both our cars has cloth seats. I am going to invest on seat covers. You will be going to the beach a lot so your seats will likely to be wet at some point. Plus it rains pretty often at this time of the year. I am guessing that's why all the cars we've looked at have filthy looking seats.
  4. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks. With my car not running as good as it use to I think I will go ahead a sale it and get something maybe a little older then I was looking at. Ship just the one and sale it after the three years before returning. Might even look at leather seats instead of cloth. Thanks for the help.
  5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I live on Guam. Cars are expensive for purchase due to porting over. I highly recommend buying used from other service members. To save a lot of headache and heartache, ship your car just to be sure. You can find decent highlanders even off base. The thing is, roads aren't great at all, especially when it's rainy. You have to make sure your car is reliable. You can get through it.
    Leasing a car isn't all that worth it, unless you're staying only for 6 months or less. You can extend your lease if it's up. Car dealers will buy your car back fast. Getting it sold on guam craigslist can even be faster, considering you price it well enough. Civilians are always on the look out for low car deals, because their prices are high. Commute isn't that far though (It takes me about 1 hour to go around the whole island), depending on what area you want to stay. Let me know if you're interested in finding a place before or when you get here, I can help.