Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: PCSing to JBLM

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

PCSing to JBLM

Advertisements
    Hey ladies! My husband has orders to JBLM and we'll be driving across the country at the beginning of September. I know we need to pack our important documents (marriage license, medical records, social security cards, etc), clothing, toiletries, and his work stuff. I plan on having bags of snacks and bottled water for along the way. What are some tips and tricks for making this trip across the country as smooth as possible? Is there anything you wish you had taken with you that the movers packed?

Thanks for your help
  2. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

You're coming from Charleston, too. Wish we could have swapped places.

To answer your question, not really. We brought the necessities. Clothes, toiletries, phone charger, stuff for the kids. We had a wonderful trip cross country. Stopped to see the St Louis arch, went to Mount Rushmore, drove down to Yellowstone to see Old Faithful. It was pretty great. McChord is a beautiful base and WA is a gorgeous state with so much to see and do. You're coming to one of the best places. Hope you're excited!

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  3. Senior Member
    We didn't go as far but we drove from Texas to Georgia, and next year we'll be headed to JBLM as well.

We brought the things you'd want to have in an empty house. An air matress, blankets, pillows, a couple pots and pans, a can opener, etc. We ended up being in our house for a week before movers could bring our stuff and I was very grateful I packed all of those things.

4. Senior Member
    This isn't specific to Alaska or long drives, but make sure you hand carry all your valuables (like jewelry) rather than having the movers pack it.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by germy View Post
    You're coming from Charleston, too. Wish we could have swapped places.

To answer your question, not really. We brought the necessities. Clothes, toiletries, phone charger, stuff for the kids. We had a wonderful trip cross country. Stopped to see the St Louis arch, went to Mount Rushmore, drove down to Yellowstone to see Old Faithful. It was pretty great. McChord is a beautiful base and WA is a gorgeous state with so much to see and do. You're coming to one of the best places. Hope you're excited!
    I just reread this, this is our plan! or at least my plan do you mind sharing your route? I want to see as much as possible, I plan on making it like a week long trip at least.

6. One does not simply Ewok into Endor
    One does not simply Ewok into Endor

Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    I just reread this, this is our plan! or at least my plan do you mind sharing your route? I want to see as much as possible, I plan on making it like a week long trip at least.
    We just googled mapped it. We left from Charlotte because we went home to spend time with my family before moving here. Went from there to the St Louis arch. Then mapped from there to Mount Rushmore. On the way to Yellowstone you are actually driving away from where you should be going to get here but we really wanted to experience it so it was worth it to us. Then mapped from there to here. We lost signal a couple of times. One of which was in Gallatin National Forest in Montana so I would definitely recommend having an actual US map with you and make sure you have a full tank of gas. Going through Wyoming and Montana were my favorite part of our road trip. It's just absolutely gorgeous. It took us seven days to get here and it was a trip I'll never forget. We've been here over four years now and love it. Hope you guys enjoy it!

<3 Anthiea <3 KittenMittens <3
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by germy View Post
    We just googled mapped it. We left from Charlotte because we went home to spend time with my family before moving here. Went from there to the St Louis arch. Then mapped from there to Mount Rushmore. On the way to Yellowstone you are actually driving away from where you should be going to get here but we really wanted to experience it so it was worth it to us. Then mapped from there to here. We lost signal a couple of times. One of which was in Gallatin National Forest in Montana so I would definitely recommend having an actual US map with you and make sure you have a full tank of gas. Going through Wyoming and Montana were my favorite part of our road trip. It's just absolutely gorgeous. It took us seven days to get here and it was a trip I'll never forget. We've been here over four years now and love it. Hope you guys enjoy it!
    oh lord, ok, I'll make sure DH has a map. I couldn't map my way out of a paper sack. I absolutely rely on GPS lol.