Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: USAF Alien wedding + PCSing

1. Regular Member

Question USAF Alien wedding + PCSing

Advertisements
    Hi all!

I am engaged to my 4 years USAF SO. I am French living in the UK so an alien (it does make it sound like I'm green!)
    My dear fiancé is due to PCS in October from Germany, taking his orders in Canada at the start of November.

I am confused about the process/timelines!
    He has requested authorization to marry to his Commander. Does anybody know what that entails? I have a slight depressive past, which I imagine is in my medical records. would that affect the authorization? By slight I mean it is now over and has never affected my physical well being, work or financial situation.
    Also, has anyone gone through it and can tell me a bit more about the process in general/timeline?

As I'm sure you'd have guessed, I am worried about the amount of time it will take for me to be able to join him in Canada. We have already been doing long distance (UK-Germany) for 3 years and spent over 18 months separated by deployments. I have had enough of the distance!

Any help, advice, opinion or just a desire to chat most welcome!!
  2. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Quote Originally Posted by Jeabuzz View Post
    Hi all!

I am engaged to my 4 years USAF SO. I am French living in the UK so an alien (it does make it sound like I'm green!)
    My dear fiancé is due to PCS in October from Germany, taking his orders in Canada at the start of November.

I am confused about the process/timelines!
    He has requested authorization to marry to his Commander. Does anybody know what that entails? I have a slight depressive past, which I imagine is in my medical records. would that affect the authorization? By slight I mean it is now over and has never affected my physical well being, work or financial situation.
    Also, has anyone gone through it and can tell me a bit more about the process in general/timeline?

As I'm sure you'd have guessed, I am worried about the amount of time it will take for me to be able to join him in Canada. We have already been doing long distance (UK-Germany) for 3 years and spent over 18 months separated by deployments. I have had enough of the distance!

Any help, advice, opinion or just a desire to chat most welcome!!
    He is an American, in the USAF? Or is he in the Canadian Air Force? I'm confused. I could be wrong, but I didn't think the US sent their members to Canada...
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
    He is an American, in the USAF? Or is he in the Canadian Air Force? I'm confused. I could be wrong, but I didn't think the US sent their members to Canada...
    There are lots of Americans stationed in Canada, and vice-versa (Interned for the Canadian Forces PA in DC a few back, so I got the spiel). Some are embedded in units directly, others are part of joint-training for extended periods of time, etc. Sorry I can't help myself National Defence | Canadian Armed Forces | Backgrounder | The Canada-U.S. Defence Relationship

As for the OP, I don't have any advice in terms of the process, but I'm Canadian, so feel free to ask me questions about my motherland
  4. Senior Member
    No advice for OP, but yes we have Americans posted in Canada. DH spent fair amount of time in joint training.
  5. Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    Do or do not... There is no try.~ Yoda, Jedi Master
    "Well, if there's a bright center to the universe, you're on the planet that it's farthest from."

Good to know! Thanks, ladies!
    I'm not Lynn, but we ARE MSOS Best Friends and MSOS Twins.
  6. Senior Member
    Interesting I learned something new today....while I knew we go up there for work cause my husband almost did but only for like a week or something I didn't know we actually had people stationed there. Learn something new every day.
  7. Senior Member
    I would think your first priority would be to get resident status in the USA since that's his place of residence and then follow the procedures of the military to get you to Canada. But I could be wrong.
  8. Married to Airman
    Married to Airman
    I am also a foreign spouse. We got married while dh was stationed in Spain. Long story short- we moved to the US couple months after we got married. Moving to the states didn't require command sponsorship so I didn't have to have medical clearance. However, you will be moving to Canada, I have no idea if they look at Canada as overseas and require same stuff for overseas clearance. Now, if they do, you will have to look at specific requirements for foreign USAF dependents for Canada. For example, if you are moving to Japan, all you will need is a sofa stamp, while in other countries you will have to apply for a certain type of visa prior moving. Hope that makes sense. My English isn't very good when I write =D