Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Overweight HHG

1. gjl
    Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Overweight HHG

Advertisements
    Anyone with recent experience on the costs associated with overweight HHG shipments? When we moved here we were right at weight, but just received an email stating we are now almost 4000lbs over. We didn't add that much stuff, and also got rid of a lot. We will do the reweigh, but wanted to know if anyone could tell us what to expect the bill to be! Thank you!
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    "As of August 2013, the minimum excess cost is approximately $100.00 per hundred pounds over the maximum weight allowance."
    I'm sure this has gone up though.
    Have you accounted for both yours and his professional papers and equipment. You are allowed up to 500 lbs he can have up to 2000 pounds. This is 2500 lbs not counted towards your weight limit.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"
  3. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    yeah, what Guy said is about right. We paid $2000 for about 2000lb over...
    be aware of it, because they often do not tell you and you get a bill and have only 30 days to pay it..

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  4. gjl
    Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thanks for the replies. We are struggling to figure out where an extra 4,000 lbs came from! We have savings, so aren't worried about covering the bill if it is indeed that much, but really don't like spending it like that!
  5. "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    "If you don't like my attitude, quit talking to me"
    Quote Originally Posted by gjl View Post
    Thanks for the replies. We are struggling to figure out where an extra 4,000 lbs came from! We have savings, so aren't worried about covering the bill if it is indeed that much, but really don't like spending it like that!
    Its not hard. figure 1000lbs per room. If you have solid wood tables, and bed frames, those are heavy. If you have a lot of extra furniture (such as a hutch, large dining table, a small breakfast table, extra couch, etc) those are heavy and add up. Basically if you have 2 beds, a living area and a kitchen, that would run you about 4000lbs. If you have 3-4 bedrooms, a dining room, and a family room (in addition to living room, and kitch), that would be about 10k lbs. Add in anything in storage (or a garage) and that's another 1000-2000 lbs. It really isn't hard to get over weight, if you have a large house with every room filled, or a lot of furniture (heavy furniture) and books.

We were over the last two PCS's. First was over by 1000lbs, and the 2nd was 2000lbs over....

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Books. Books are heavy.
    Moving is also a great excuse to downsize. See what you haven't used in a while.
    If you want my opinion on your relationship or life issues, just ask Villanelle!
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleMsSunshine View Post
    I think it's really funny when people come on here, and automatically assume that everyone here is a gung-ho, hoo-rah, i-bleed-red-white-and-blue, kiss-my-military-ass, people-in-uniform-can-do-no-wrong, and i'm-entitled-to-everything bitch.
    "RIP Blackie, and Whitey, New Whitey. Goodbye Poopers and Momma Beige and Lady Grey. New Blackie and the Whitey Sisters rule the roost now!"