Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Reimbursement for mailing items during a PCS

1. Senior Member

Reimbursement for mailing items during a PCS

Advertisements
    My eyes are crossed from reading the JTR for so many parts of this move. I'm hoping someone can help.

I thought I remembered that there was a way to get reimbursed for mailing yourself stuff. DH read his orders (but I don't know how closely he looked since he seemed skeptical about my claim) and didn't see anything in there. Does anyone know what I'm talking about, or did I make this up?

Basically, we will have been living out of suitcases for 2.5 months, or more, by the time we get in to our house. We are technically allowed 4 suitcases on the Patriot Express, and DH's orders say he'll be reimbursed for 1 more. He has 2.5 suitcases fully of just uniforms and flight gear. So basically, we each get 1.25 suitcases for everything we've needed for 2.5 months. Needless to say, we have way more than that. It will cost a small fortune to mail. (Priority, which is really the only way to ship to an APO, for 50 pounds--which is about one suitcase worth, is about $225. A zillion flat rat boxes would be about the same.)

It will be somewhat cheaper to pay the excess baggage fee on the Patriot Express, so we will probably do that. But if we can be reimbursed for it, I want to make sure it doesn't matter how we send it and if we can be reimbursed for the excess baggage fee, or if we can only be reimbursed if we mail it, which is more expensive. (And yes, I know it's a moving expense so we can always claim it on our taxes, but obviously that only gets a small part of it back and isn't a full reimbursement.)

Anyone know anything about this? Please.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  2. Senior Member
    Vill - We did get reimbursed for mailing HHG, but I don't remember the ins and outs of it. My husband seems to recall it was only available to those moving OCONUS, but that is all he remembers. I thought maybe it fell under the PPM rules, but I am not sure of that at all. Check Appendix G of the JTR to see if you can find anything there.

Oh, look what I just found! It is a few years old, but still, go to http://www.public.navy.mil/surfor/cc...2011_12_11.pdf and search for the word Postage.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    As long as you are on orders, we mailed it and submitted the receipts to TMO. It is counted against your HHG.

It will only cover the cheapest rate, no insurance, ect. That is what happened with us.

That is Air Force.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  4. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Interesting, because there are signs at our post office on Osan that state you can not use the mail system for moving.
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    Vill - We did get reimbursed for mailing HHG, but I don't remember the ins and outs of it. My husband seems to recall it was only available to those moving OCONUS, but that is all he remembers. I thought maybe it fell under the PPM rules, but I am not sure of that at all. Check Appendix G of the JTR to see if you can find anything there.

Oh, look what I just found! It is a few years old, but still, go to http://www.public.navy.mil/surfor/cc...2011_12_11.pdf and search for the word Postage.
    Thanks so much!! I wonder if they'd pay for excess baggage, or only postage. It will be cheaper for them to reimburse baggage instead of postage, but we all know that's not always how the military thinks. If DH has time, I'll have him ask the PPM office, but things are a bit crazy right now.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  6. Senior Member
    Years ago I mailed a bunch of stuff and it was reimbursed (took forever). I had insured everything and they pro-rated it to parcel post (slow boat) with no insurance. But they did pay some.
  7. Senior Member
    That's so crazy you get so few bags considering civilian airlines you normally get 5 bags on orders. We just had two boxes from someone APO delivered to us today. I think it was bulky but lighter stuff since they're 25lbs a piece I think. It was shipped from an APO to here (friends we know coming inbound).

Hope you find something in the JFTR.