Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: To move or not to move

1. Senior Member

To move or not to move

Advertisements
    We are in the single digits in the wedding countdown and a few days after the wedding DF and I will start our drive from Oregon to Florida. The original plan was for me to stay a few days in Pensacola, then fly home and continue working until the end of the summer, then fly back out for good. DF's sponsor has been trying to talk him into just keeping me down there since DF has to find a house anyway. He also told us he is going to try really hard to push our paperwork so we get the full BAH within the first ten days of moving, but that of course is not guaranteed to happen. I have a few thousand dollars saved up so that I can cover rent and expenses in the situation that we don't get the money, but I'm still trying to decide what will be best for us. I asked my dad and he told me I should stay in Florida. He feels that it will be cheaper since DF won't be able to stay in the barracks anyway. I've already taken a little more than two weeks off of work for the wedding prep, wedding, and trip and that will be starting in a few days, but if I am going to stay I need to let my manager know that I won't be coming back from my vacation. I already know this won't be a problem since I am already training the new girls that were intended to replace me at the end of the summer, but I still want to give everyone plenty of heads up if I am going to be permanently gone, so a decision needs to be reached soon. What do you think would be the best plan?
  2. Senior Member
    Think of the cost of the plane tickets to go back and forth from FL to Oregon. The wedding is in Oregon right? You could get married and stay in Oregon (not fly down to pcola at all till later) till his pay is all ironed out before you move pcola. If that is something you want to do too.

There is always a loan from NMCRS your spouse can get to help bridge things till BAH kicks in if need be.

At the end of the day its a choice you and your fiancé need to talk about. Look into the cost of those plane tickets. What type of place you will rent and the cost of living off base.
  3. Senior Member
    While it might take a while for the BAH to actually show up, it will be back paid, so you'll get all of it eventually. Just adding that, in case it factors in to your decision.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    What was the point of you flying back? Just to work the rest of the summer?
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    What was the point of you flying back? Just to work the rest of the summer?
    Basically, and originally he was told he would have to stay in the barracks until all the paperwork went through and I didn't think I'd have enough money saved to get a place. I saved a lot of money on the wedding though. So I do have enough now.
  6. Senior Member
    If you know for sure it won't burn any bridges with your employer, I would say don't come back.
  7. aBr
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Have I mentioned how jealous I am that your DF is stationed in Pensacola? I'm dying for DG to get PCSed to Eglin in Ft Walton Beach. I'd stay in Pensacola with my new hubby if I were you.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I'd just go. If your boss wont be upset, it makes no sense to keep spending money on plane tickets when you can save that money for furniture, etc. Then you guys can focus on doing everything together. It will probably be a lot less stressful that way, especially since your soon to be DH is new to the military and has never dealt with any of this before.
  9. Senior Member
    If you can afford the wait until BAH starts rolling in I would just stay. Why waste money on flights?
  10. Senior Member
    Yeah I agree. If it's not going to have any negative impacts, just stay in Florida.