Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: PCS to Korea!! Tell me what you know please! And on shipping pets too

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

PCS to Korea!! Tell me what you know please! And on shipping pets too

Advertisements
    So my dude got orders to Korea for Fall this year. We're pretty sure it's going to be in the Daegu area, but it might change since it's the Army. Also, we just got our command sponsorship this week!

We're both pretty excited about it. I'm looking forward to experience the culture, learn the language, and eat their food! I'm a big time planner, so I've been researching and thinking about the logistics and the details of what we need to do to make the move easier. I would like to know if anyone here has experience transporting their pet to Korea? I have a 60 lbs adult dog that I can't bear to part with. If you have any other tips, could you share it with me?

Thanks!
  2. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    We didn't adopt our dogs until we were in country here in South Korea, so I'm no help. But I'm excited that you are coming! Korea is awesome; I've been here for eight years now and absolutely love it. That said, in eight years, I have not done very well with picking up the language. It is a very difficult language and I have yet to find a teacher that teaches anything other than memorizing sentences. That includes a college course through the University of Maryland here. Ugh! I can read and write the language but I just don't know what it means LOL!!

The best piece of advice I can give you is this: Come here expecting Korea to be completely different from the States. Expect it to be exotic and mysterious and totally alien. If you do that, you will love it here when you realize how similar everything is to home.

People who come here expecting it to be like home and comparing it to home ("that's not how it's done in the States!") end up hating it here.

Don't know why but that is what I have seen happen time and time again. Weird, huh?
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Pets etc, South Korea

Hey, we are PCSing to Korea this fall too! I think we'll be at Camp Humphreys. As far as the pet goes, call your local Base Veterinarian NOW to start the process. If your pet needs any updates for vaccines, it could take a couple months to complete. For Korea, you need a Certificate of Health from a DOD vet, a microchip implanted and confirmed by DOD vet and up to date rabies vaccines. Your soldier should also be able to request assistance with arranging all of the moving household goods, pets, you, etc... There are websites they provide but the travel office on post is supposed also help guide you through as all of these websites are REALLY confusing. I'll try to keep you updated as I find out more as well. As far as housing, from what we've been told, you don't get to officially 'shop' until you get there. Someone from the housing dept will assign you a realtor and they will show you different options based on your BAH, once you arrive. In the mean time, almost all newly PCSed people stay in (paid for) temporary housing such as Dragon Hill Lodge for the first week or so. There should be more details on your husbands orders... Good luck!