Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Ugh! Poop ton of questions 😱!!

1. Regular Member

Ugh! Poop ton of questions 😱!!

Advertisements
    Ok so don't know where to start here. First off headed to San Diego got on the list for Ramona vista, now worried that it is way far out from the 32nd?? Now this whole moving thing how in the world dose it work?? We are getting a lot of mixed answers... We wanted to do a ppm and we was told at first we could get a advance but now we are told we can not and we do not have the money saved for the move? So if we do the navy move we have to pay out of pocket to get us and our cars out there?? It is going to be at least a 3 day trip! I have looked on move.mill and all that did was confuse me more lol. So any advice you guys have I would appreciate.
  2. Senior Member
    If you have the Navy move you, there is no cost to you. And he should be able to get an advance for DLA (dislocation allowance, which I think is a couple thousand dollars) and for some of the expected moving costs. They would likely give him 80% of the costs that qualify for an advance.

I would never live up in Ramona if I worked on NAB. You'd probably have to give yourself at least an hour and 45 minutes, if not more, assuming being late was not an option. That gate at 32nd street alone can take 15 minutes, leaving you only an hour and a half to make that drive, which could easily be not enough if there is an accident or worse traffic than usual. I just checked Google Maps and for leaving at 730, it said an hour and 20 minutes to NAB, and that is just the front gate, without time to get through the gate and find parking.

I am guessing you picked Ramona because they don't take all the BAH, but you are probably going to eat up all that savings in gas and wear and tear on your care, and that doesn't take in to account the stress of a long drive.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Senior Member
    There will be costs out of pocket no matter how you move that you will have to pay in advance BUT as long as you stay within the guidelines amount wise that are told to your husband than you will be fully reimbursed. As far as being told they will not give you an advance I think going above that person and speaking to the next person up in charge might help. Generally the only reason they tell you that you can't get an advance is due to time to get it to you. BUT I know for a fact you can get an advance within a week if they don't dink around.

But yeah, if the military moves you, you are responsible for getting yourselves and your vehicles to your new base. But again, stick within the allocated amounts for each day and you will get the money you spend in advance back. But if you go over what they allot, that is money spent that you will be out.
  4. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    If you have the Navy move you, there is no cost to you. And he should be able to get an advance for DLA (dislocation allowance, which I think is a couple thousand dollars) and for some of the expected moving costs. They would likely give him 80% of the costs that qualify for an advance.

I would never live up in Ramona if I worked on NAB. You'd probably have to give yourself at least an hour and 45 minutes, if not more, assuming being late was not an option. That gate at 32nd street alone can take 15 minutes, leaving you only an hour and a half to make that drive, which could easily be not enough if there is an accident or worse traffic than usual. I just checked Google Maps and for leaving at 730, it said an hour and 20 minutes to NAB, and that is just the front gate, without time to get through the gate and find parking.

I am guessing you picked Ramona because they don't take all the BAH, but you are probably going to eat up all that savings in gas and wear and tear on your care, and that doesn't take in to account the stress of a long drive.
    Oh man lol no we picked Ramona because they was the only ones that came up that would take our dog.
  5. Senior Member
    I think most people who live in Ramona are probably at Miramar. Even then, it's further than I'd want to drive, but a but more reasonable.
  6. Regular Member

Oh man lol no we picked Ramona because they was the only ones that came up that would take our dog. But that is so far out so now I am going to try looking to see if we can change the place we are on the list for. I remember you telling me about the DLA before but they told him because this is our first move then we can not get a advice? That just doesn't sound right bit everyone he has asked said it is right smh. So now we are scrambling trying to get something worked out , I just don't think my car can make that drive.
  7. Senior Member
    I don't know about advances with a first move. It seems like it shouldn't matter. He should politely ask to speak to a different person, and you guys should read through the JTR to see what it says.
  8. Regular Member
    I think most people who live in Ramona are probably at Miramar. Even then, it's further than I'd want to drive, but a but more reasonable.
    Oh shoot, ok so now do you know if once you have been put on the list if you can places?
  9. Senior Member
    I don't know, but if you call the housing office they can probably answer that if you call.
  10. Regular Member
    I don't know, but if you call the housing office they can probably answer that if you call.
    Yeah I am going to , and it that is not a option then we are going to look into on base housing... So do you know much about that? As I said we have a dog it is not a pit he is a large dog he is a American fox hound so he is slim but tall lol so when people see him they get intimidated by him I guess but he is super friendly. So I think that is the hardest thing for us with finding a place and the fact that we know nothing of the area. I know I don't want to live in town at all. I would like to live away from all the hustle and bustle but not so far out that hubs has to drive like two hours lol. And I guess it would be OK to live on base of that is not a bad thing?