Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: First PCS

1. Senior Member

First PCS

Advertisements
    So we finally moved to our first duty station. This past Sunday I left to make the 32 hour drive with our dog. DH was not granted time to come home as they would not allow him to fly home and then drive back. And he was not granted his 10 day house hunting time either. Needless to say, we were both annoyed with that. So I made the drive myself. 2/3 the way across the country with a dog. Didn't have a choice so I sucked it up. The drive was pretty uneventful. In the beginning at least.

Pretty sure I saw a dead armadillo in Tennessee. But it was on it's back so it could have been any small animal. Then in Texas, with about 6 hours left of the drive I come up on an accident. It was bad. It was like 10pm so at first I couldn't tell what happened. But I was the second car to pull up to it so I was front row. I thought a vehicle had hit the concrete barrier and it was across the two lane highway. But then I saw a tractor trailer up against the concrete barrier on the other side of the highway and what I thought was the concreter barrier on my side of the highway was actually the bed of the tractor trailer. So the cab was in the east bound lane and the bed was in the west bound lane. This guy hit the barrier pretty hard to have the bed thrown over onto the opposite side of the highway. There were three tractor trailers there, the one trown across the highway and then two pulled up right behind that one.

I pull up and the car next to me asks me to call the police. So I do and I'm trying to answer their questions and tell them where we are. And even though I knew where we were I was in such shock at what was in front of me that I had to ask where we were in order to tell the dispatcher. Then they ask me if anyone was hurt, so I run up to the front of the accident to see if anyone was hurt not knowing what I was going to come across. Thankfully no one was hurt.

I remember smelling gas only to look down and see that I was standing in it. And then looking up to see that the one tractor trailer hit the bed of the tractor trailer laying across the highway. There was a grass median and then a service road so the cops directed traffic over the median and to the service road so we didn't have tonwait hours for it all to be cleared. Don't really know how the accident happened, seemed to me he either fell asleep or someone cut him off. Guess it doesn't really matter how it happened.

It was a real eye opener for me. My dad is a truck driver. And I know of the risks, how dangerous it is and all that. But I have never seen anything like that. So it made me realize how dangerous it is for my dad.

In the end, I made it! Luckily Loui is real good in the car, he slept most of it. But after awhile he wanted out! He's never been in the car for more then a half hour so it was a lot for him. But he handled it like a champ!

I have pictures of the accident and my dog being a good boy in the car, but I don't have internet yet and service absolutely sucks. So pictures just are not working right now. But I can upload them on Monday when internet gets hooked up.
  2. Pour a little salt, we were never here
    Pour a little salt, we were never here

on making it! I would throw a serious fit if I had to drive 32 hours without DH.
  3. Senior Member
    This is definitely scary. Car accidents always shake me up for a little while. It's sad how common they are and I have lost several friends in accidents in the past two years alone. I think we all know someone who has been deeply affected by one. I'm glad you were able to take action and call for help and that in the end you made it alright.
  4. Senior Member
    Congrats on making it!!!! I see a lot of those horrific scenes in my job and I can tell you even though I'm in "work" mode and it doesn't hit me immediately, it's a reality check every single time.
  5. Senior Member
    Welcome to the capital of worst drivers in America! When I first got here, a read about a lot of spouses who stay on post because they are so scared to drive in the city. I've been here a year without incident though! ::knock on wood:: It took me some getting acclimated to the way roads are laid out here but once I figured it out, it made a lot more sense.

PS: Make sure you and your dog get a lot of fluids. Mine had a hard time adjusting to the dry climate so I started putting some water in their food to make sure they stayed hydrated enough!

And welcome!
  6. Senior Member
    Ahhh thats so scary! Glad you got there safe!!! Enjoy El Paso! Df is leaving Sat.

Are you living on base?
    "She knew she loved him when 'home' went from being a place to being a person."
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by [his] lobster View Post
    on making it! I would throw a serious fit if I had to drive 32 hours without DH.
    Oh you bet I did! I know it's not his fault, but it seriously sucked driving that far alone!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina22LE View Post
    This is definitely scary. Car accidents always shake me up for a little while. It's sad how common they are and I have lost several friends in accidents in the past two years alone. I think we all know someone who has been deeply affected by one. I'm glad you were able to take action and call for help and that in the end you made it alright.
    Quite a few of my classmates died in car accidents. It's terrible. I never thought I'd ever come face to face with something like that, but it's good to know that if it happens again I can stay calm enough to assist in anyway possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious_Nicole View Post
    Congrats on making it!!!! I see a lot of those horrific scenes in my job and I can tell you even though I'm in "work" mode and it doesn't hit me immediately, it's a reality check every single time.
    It was definitely a reality check! So many kudos to you for all that you do!
    Quote Originally Posted by she_lurks View Post
    Welcome to the capital of worst drivers in America! When I first got here, a read about a lot of spouses who stay on post because they are so scared to drive in the city. I've been here a year without incident though! ::knock on wood:: It took me some getting acclimated to the way roads are laid out here but once I figured it out, it made a lot more sense.

PS: Make sure you and your dog get a lot of fluids. Mine had a hard time adjusting to the dry climate so I started putting some water in their food to make sure they stayed hydrated enough!

And welcome!
    We are off post. The road system is different for sure! I have to use my GPS or I will no doubt get lost! Thanks for the water in food trick, I'll have to use that. My pup loves being outside.
    Quote Originally Posted by irish85 View Post
    Ahhh thats so scary! Glad you got there safe!!! Enjoy El Paso! Df is leaving Sat.

Are you living on base?
    Thank you! You'll be together soon, right?! We are off post as Loui is a pit bull and not allowed on base.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by caljmw649 View Post
    Oh you bet I did! I know it's not his fault, but it seriously sucked driving that far alone!

Quite a few of my classmates died in car accidents. It's terrible. I never thought I'd ever come face to face with something like that, but it's good to know that if it happens again I can stay calm enough to assist in anyway possible.

It was definitely a reality check! So many kudos to you for all that you do!

We are off post. The road system is different for sure! I have to use my GPS or I will no doubt get lost! Thanks for the water in food trick, I'll have to use that. My pup loves being outside.

Thank you! You'll be together soon, right?! We are off post as Loui is a pit bull and not allowed on base.
    Awwww forgot about the pup , df lives(d) (on Sat. ) off base also. All the apartments look very similar right?!?!?

He is staying at his sisters (in the Dallas area) until we buy a house, hoping to get down there around July to house hunt. Then after the wedding we will get settled!
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by irish85 View Post
    Awwww forgot about the pup , df lives(d) (on Sat. ) off base also. All the apartments look very similar right?!?!?

He is staying at his sisters (in the Dallas area) until we buy a house, hoping to get down there around July to house hunt. Then after the wedding we will get settled!
    Yes! But we(or rather DH) didn't look at many apartments. Loui is a big boy and needs running space. So we got a house with a backyard so he can play. I kid you not, he has a full size truck tire that he flips around the yard.

Not too much longer til your big day! I'm excited for you!
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by caljmw649 View Post
    Yes! But we(or rather DH) didn't look at many apartments. Loui is a big boy and needs running space. So we got a house with a backyard so he can play. I kid you not, he has a full size truck tire that he flips around the yard.

Not too much longer til your big day! I'm excited for you!
    crazy!!! Awww thats so sweet! I'm glad you guys found a house!

Ahhh i knowww!!! Less than 5 months!!!!

Awwww thank you!