Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone ever had a compassionate reassignment?

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Has anyone ever had a compassionate reassignment?

Advertisements
    Hi Everyone!

I just met with my PCM today and she said that she was going to put my husband and I in for compassionate reassignment due to our combined medical issues. We are currently stationed at Daegu Air Base, South Korea, which is a fairly remote base, so everything related to medical is done at the nearby Army base. The caseworker at the clinic at Camp Walker said that she needed to call the Air Force compassionate reassignment caseworker up in Osan for more details on how to file the paperwork.

The caseworker mentioned that we would need to develop a list of bases that we would be willing to go to. She also said that the list we develop would be cross referenced between available slots for my husband's career field and access to the medical services that we need. I need an operation to fix a bone deformity in my chest and my husband has a variety of health issues related to his service in Iraq.

Although my husband has been in the Air Force for the past 16 years, I am a relatively new spouse so I don't know much about how this stuff works. My husband and I have been married for less than 3 years and Korea was my first PCS. My husband knows just about as much as I do because I am his first wife and he has never had dependents.

How does this whole thing work?
  2. Senior Member
    You can do a search on this site, and a lot of info will come up. They are fairly hard to get, but they do happen. I've never heard of one happening for a service member, but maybe that's A Thing.

Generally, they are for conditions that will be resolved in 12 months or less. Also, is there no medical facility near you in Korea that can do the procedure?

if your husband has serious medical issues, it could easily end in him being medically discharged or retired. That's something you guys should be prepared for if you decide to pursue this, with his issues included in the reasoning.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    There is a Korean hospital that can do the procedure but my PCM (who is also the OIC of the clinic) wouldn't recommend doing such a complicated medical procedure at a hospital on the economy. I have already had an eye surgery at a Korean hospital go horribly wrong so I don't trust the Koreans very much.
    My husband's health issues are limited to arthritis and PTSD. Sending me home by myself isn't an option for her because I am from a VERY screwed up family and I don't have anyone who can help me after the surgery aside from my husband.

Basically I have to have a titanium rod implanted in my chest to force my breast bone into the proper position. This is a VERY painful and rather complex operation and my PCM isn't comfortable having it done at a Korean hospital. Heck, she prescribed me several types of pain medication today and the pharmacy at the clinic didn't have two of them. The pharmacy at Camp Walker often has to order most specialty medications.
  4. Senior Member
    How long is left on our DH's orders to Korea? How long have you been there? How long is the recovery once out of the hospital expected to be, and what level of care are you expected to need? Your DH is still going to be in the military and thus is still going to need to be able to go to work and do his job every day. It that's not going to be possible and you truly can't do without his care, he might need to pursue a compassionate discharge instead.

All these things can be factors in the compassionate reassignment. Also, don't plan on getting to make your own list of possible assignments. Any CR that I've ever heard of (which admittedly is only a few) has involved the military looking to see where they have a facility that can perform the procedure (so plan on it being at a military hospital, though you never know) and where they have a job for your DH. It's not "places you are willing to go". Just like with any military assignment, you have to go where they send you. if the reassignment centers around a sick member of extended family or something where there is a specific location, it's a bit different. But if it is simply that you can't be where you currently are, they will send you to a place that works for the military. Since there's no other family in the picture, it isn't like you can say that thou need to be in X or Y location because you have other family to help care for you in those places. You just need a capable medical facility and a job for your DH. You an start researching where those are, but I'm pointing this out because the way the OP was worded makes is sound like you think you may have a significant say in the matter, and you may well not.
  5. Senior Member
    I've never heard of the term compassionate reassignment used in this situation. The only term I'm familiar with is an EFMP reassignment which I just went through with a friend. They had zero say in where they went (although our husbands' airframe is only at 4 bases) and they were moved based on the need for new medical care that is not offered at our current base.

The only compassionate reassignment I've known of was a mutual friend who had a very premature baby pass away after several weeks of care. They were moved to a base close to her family, but I do not know the details of that situation.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  6. Senior Member
    My SIL did. She was pregnant and her and husband were dual military, they were going to be stationed apart.

7. Senior Member
    I agree with villanelle, the military is going to look at where the procedure can be done and there is a slot for your husband. But also, what is the recovery time? Sometimes they will just send you to a larger military hospital to get the procedure done and then you just go back to your regular location rather than PCS the entire family. Otherwise, it sounds like what you are talking about is a curtailment of his current orders and a PCS to a location where you can get the surgery done. The AF does humanitarian assignments, but I don't think this is going to fall under that program. This sounds more like an EFMP reassignment. You can read about both programs in AFI 36-2110, specifically Attachments 24 and 25.

From Attachment 25: The EFMP also provides reassignment when a member is assigned to an area and a new medical, special education, related service, or early intervention need arises for which the needed services are not available within the assignment locale.

Are you enrolled in the EFMP?
  8. Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    I agree with villanelle, the military is going to look at where the procedure can be done and there is a slot for your husband. But also, what is the recovery time? Sometimes they will just send you to a larger military hospital to get the procedure done and then you just go back to your regular location rather than PCS the entire family. Otherwise, it sounds like what you are talking about is a curtailment of his current orders and a PCS to a location where you can get the surgery done. The AF does humanitarian assignments, but I don't think this is going to fall under that program. This sounds more like an EFMP reassignment. You can read about both programs in AFI 36-2110, specifically Attachments 24 and 25.

From Attachment 25: The EFMP also provides reassignment when a member is assigned to an area and a new medical, special education, related service, or early intervention need arises for which the needed services are not available within the assignment locale.

Are you enrolled in the EFMP?
    I completely agree.

And if you aren't enrolled in EFMP, why aren't you? It sounds like something that should've been done before you went to a somewhat remote location.
  9. Senior Member
    Yeah, it's a bit surprising to me that they moved you to Korea with a major medical condition. Am I correct that you are there with command sponsorship?
  10. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Yes, we are here with command sponsorship.

I actually had a thoracic surgeon look at my deformity before we left the states and he said that it should be fine. However, this past winter I slipped on some ice outside my apartment building and cracked a couple of ribs. Apparently the injury caused my bone deformity to shift dangerously. I've been in excruciating pain ever since then.

I actually have several major medical conditions and I was able to get approval on all of them to come to Korea. Command sponsorship with health problems isn't that hard if you know the ins and outs of the system and can get medical personnel to vouch for you. For example, I also have PTSD and I had to go for a psychiatric evaluation before they would let me come over here. The psychiatrist doing the evaluation thought that most of my problems would get better if I got out of my hometown because of all the drama between my crazy family and my ex-husband's family. My PTSD did get better by going to Korea though
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast