Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Partial PPM

1. Senior Member

Partial PPM

Advertisements
    DH and I will be PCSing at the end of this year and I’ve been considering a Partial PPM since I’ve been reading about it a lot lately on the forum.

This thing is, I really don’t know much about partials at all. I found an article and it said:
    When you do, your weight allowance will be split between your partial PPM and your government move.
    Is a DITY Move Right For You? - AHRN.com - The #1 Trusted Housing Resource
    So does that mean if my weight allowance is 8,000lbs that I have to tow 4,000lbs on my own? (Sorry if that’s a silly question.) We were planning on filling our cars up with valuables and other necessities that we don’t want the packers to take. Do I have to notify the transportation office of how much I plan to haul before the trip, or can I just load the car with what I need then weigh it and get reimbursed for it? We wouldn’t tow anything, so does that still count as a Partial PPM?

If anyone has more info on Partial PPMs then I’d love to hear from you. TIA!
    Last edited by idratherbehiking; 05-06-2016 at 08:36 PM.

2. Senior Member
    I was wondering this same thing actually. We are driving to Georgia, and taking some stuff with us. Just wondering how it works.

3. Moderator

Not split evenly; just split as in they subtract what you transport from your allowance with the movers. So if you move 500 lbs that is subtracted from your allowance for the movers. You don't have to tow anything. Just weigh your vehicle empty/full (I would do it both empty and full at both locations- we have had various moving offices ask for weight certificates from one or both locations) at CAT certified weigh stations, and keep all your fuel receipts.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    DH and I will be PCSing at the end of this year and Iíve been considering a Partial PPM since Iíve been reading about it a lot lately on the forum.

This thing is, I really donít know much about partials at all. I found an article and it said:

So does that mean if my weight allowance is 8,000lbs that I have to tow 4,000lbs on my own? (Sorry if thatís a silly question.) We were planning on filling our cars up with valuables and other necessities that we donít want the packers to take. Do I have to notify the transportation office of how much I plan to haul before the trip, or can I just load the car with what I need then weigh it and get reimbursed for it? We wouldnít tow anything, so does that still count as a Partial PPM?

If anyone has more info on Partial PPMs then Iíd love to hear from you. TIA!
    Yep! We always do PPM moves. You get the same weight allowance as you would if the government was moving you except now it's split. So if your allowance is 8,000 lbs you can move whatever fraction of that amount yourself that you want, but you don't get any "extra" weight because you're moving some things on your own. Go on base and weigh your vehicles empty (we did ours a week or so before the move) and then again on your way out of town (you have to do it on the front end, not the back end). That's really all there is to it. You get paid 95% of the amount that the military would've paid a contractor to move that amount of weight. Renting a Uhaul truck and moving everything yourself rarely makes you money and it's a ton of stress. But, if you have the ability to tow and rent a trailer, you can move more weight yourself without the fuss of moving big bulky furniture or the stress of having to have every.last.single thing packed, and you can have things like a real mattress at your destination.
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    You will get paid for your 8k weight allowance. If you decide to do a partial move and they movers end up moving 8k worth of stuff, they will not pay for the 1k in your cars. They will move all your stuff; but, they will only pay for the weight allowance you are allotted. That is how I understand it.

If you get a U-Haul and all those things, you will only get what the weight limit of moving is. Those things aren't included I believe.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneSays View Post
    Yep! We always do PPM moves. You get the same weight allowance as you would if the government was moving you except now it's split. So if your allowance is 8,000 lbs you can move whatever fraction of that amount yourself that you want, but you don't get any "extra" weight because you're moving some things on your own. Go on base and weigh your vehicles empty (we did ours a week or so before the move) and then again on your way out of town (you have to do it on the front end, not the back end). That's really all there is to it. You get paid 95% of the amount that the military would've paid a contractor to move that amount of weight. Renting a Uhaul truck and moving everything yourself rarely makes you money and it's a ton of stress. But, if you have the ability to tow and rent a trailer, you can move more weight yourself without the fuss of moving big bulky furniture or the stress of having to have every.last.single thing packed, and you can have things like a real mattress at your destination.
    I'm not sure this is true. I have a friend who recently got her PPM claim denied, basically, because she didn't have a full weight ticket at the destination. And that makes sense. Otherwise, you could load up the car, weigh it, and then take out half the stuff. So you need en empty ticket at the start, and a full weight at the start and finish, to prove that you really did move all that weight the whole way.

You can check the JTR to be sure, but I believe that's the case. they may not always ask for it, but I think they can.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    I'm not sure this is true. I have a friend who recently got her PPM claim denied, basically, because she didn't have a full weight ticket at the destination. And that makes sense. Otherwise, you could load up the car, weigh it, and then take out half the stuff. So you need en empty ticket at the start, and a full weight at the start and finish, to prove that you really did move all that weight the whole way.

You can check the JTR to be sure, but I believe that's the case. they may not always ask for it, but I think they can.
    Interesting. We just did it, and at least for the USMC, it's by order within 50 miles of the origin. I agree, it's not a smart rule, but it is the rule. Our PPM claim from CO to VA almost got denied (DH had to write a letter about how he wasn't counseled about getting a full weight within 50 miles of the origin--they processed the claim but it was a big ordeal) because we weighed empty at the origin and full more than 50 miles from the origin (he nearest base was more than 50 miles away). We weighed full at our destination too but they told us we didn't need to, so we didn't this past move. The rule, imo, should be to get full weights on both ends, but that's the way it is for the Marine Corps at least. May not be a bad idea to get full weights both places and to read up on the particular service's order regarding PPM moves. It's not a ton of extra work and can ensure you get fully paid.
  8. Senior Member
    It's also entirely possible that she was dealing with someone who had the rules wrong. But that's part of the reason I'm unlikely to ever do a full PPM. No one seems to know what the hell they are doing. I just looked and it seems like you are correct and that both are needed at origin. If I were doing it, I'd weigh at destination, too, just to be safe. It's easier to give someone what they ask for, even if they shouldn't be asking, than it is to fight a regulation battle.

Also, for future reference, I don't think you have to weigh at a base. But I could be wrong about that, too. lol
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    It's also entirely possible that she was dealing with someone who had the rules wrong. But that's part of the reason I'm unlikely to ever do a full PPM. No one seems to know what the hell they are doing. I just looked and it seems like you are correct and that both are needed at origin. If I were doing it, I'd weigh at destination, too, just to be safe. It's easier to give someone what they ask for, even if they shouldn't be asking, than it is to fight a regulation battle.

Also, for future reference, I don't think you have to weigh at a base. But I could be wrong about that, too. lol
    You're right about weighing at a base--we were misinformed about that as well I agree--a full PPM is far more trouble than it's worth!
  10. Moderator

When we moved down here to Georgia, we did a partial. We were told to weigh before and after and subtract it from the allotted weight allowance. You don't have to weigh on base, which is great for us not near one on recruiting, but it had to be documented to turn in for reimbursement.

It was definitely worth it. Also, I'm so happy for y'all that you're already talking about PCS'ing! Recruiting is almost over for you!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast