Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you recommend a DITY move?

1. Senior Member

Do you recommend a DITY move?

Advertisements
    We'll be moving to the other side of the country in a few months and DF wants to make it a DITY move. Is this more of a hassle than it's worth? Which process do you prefer? I'd love any advice or pros and cons of the two. TIA!
  2. Senior Member
    Just let the movers do it. One mistake and you may not get reimbursed for the costs. There are so many regulations you have to follow it's insane.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We have never done one and I have no intention of ever doing one I just let the movers take care of it since there is enough stress involved in a move already.
  4. Senior Member
    We always do a partial DITY. We just made $600 moving the stuff we moved in our car. If we had our crap together, we'd have gotten DH's truck fitted with a hitch and we'd have made even more money with less stress.

Honestly, if either of your cars has towing capabilities, I'd do a partial DITY. I have no interest in packing up every last item in the house, but I'm also not a huge fan of sleeping on *air* mattresses and living without internet and my kitchen until stuff gets delivered. So what we plan to do for the next move is rent a uhaul trailer that can fit our queen sized mattress in it, and our son's mattress. Pack the linens we need, pack our entire kitchen, router/modm, valuables, small tool kit/electronics, etc. And basically fill the trailer according to what our priorities are. You get paid for whatever you move, so if you move the stuff that's easy to pack and makes life easier when you get to your destination, then I don't see the downsides. Pack what you can/want to, and then let the movers move all the heavy/awkward/hard to carry or lift stuff/whatever didn't fit.
    Last edited by JaneSays; 05-06-2016 at 09:04 AM. Reason: air mattresses and mattresses are totally different
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Emma* View Post
    We have never done one and I have no intention of ever doing one I just let the movers take care of it since there is enough stress involved in a move already.
    I have friends who have done it and it's been fine. We tried it once and I had a horrible time getting reimbursed. Will never do it again. It's a stressful time and a long trip for you. Let them do it.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious_Nicole View Post
    I have friends who have done it and it's been fine. We tried it once and I had a horrible time getting reimbursed. Will never do it again. It's a stressful time and a long trip for you. Let them do it.
    Well plus all our moves have been oconus so that probably plays a big part in me wanting nothing to do with it maybe if we were going from nc to DC I might consider buuuuut probably not
  7. Senior Member
    I've heard it can be a pain to get reimbursed and my sister did something wrong on the way and couldn't be reimbursed, so that kind of worries me, but we really don't have much stuff so it wouldn't be too bad.
  8. Regular Member
    We did a partial move & it worked out great. I had moved to where my husbands tech was & then he did RAP for 2 weeks, so the movers packed us up down in MS. We drove back to PA for his RAP then drove from PA to CA for the PCS. We got reimbursed for that which was nice because we ended up actually making money on it. If you plan on driving & will have anything in your vehicle then do a partial.
  9. Moderator

We've done full PPM, partial, and had the military move us. Full is nice because if you do it right you can make some money and you arrive with your stuff in tow, military move is nice because it's less hassle and driving a huge truck across the country sucks. We'd probably only do partial from now on because we couldn't all fit in the cab of the moving van, so we would both have to drive, and DH gets road hypnosis, so I always drive long distances. We've never had any trouble with reimbursement at all though- if it were just us, or us and one kid, we would probably DITY again.
  10. Senior Member
    I would at least do a partial because you will have things in your cars. DB has done the full DITY and had movers before. Honestly, the full DITY would be a pain if you owned an entire household worth of things and heavy furniture. I don't think you would make enough for it to be worth your trouble. When he did the full DITY he didn't own that much, so everything he had fit into a U-Haul trailer that he pulled with his truck. He had movers when he moved to Oki, but there wasn't a choice there. I think it really depends on how much you own and what cars/trucks you have. I don't remember the reimbursement being a big issue, keep track of weigh tickets etc.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast