Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Housing and reenlistment questions.

1. Senior Member

Housing and reenlistment questions.

Advertisements
    So DH has been putting some thought into his reenlistment. He went and spoke with his career planner yesterday about it all and they basically gave him 3 location options: Quantico, Lejeune, and Fort Lee. For those of you who have lived at any of these locations give me the good and bad on them. How are the elementary schools? Housing? Pretty much everything. I have visited/been to both Quantico and Lejeune, but I know nothing about Fort Lee.
    They also gave him the option of switching his MOS to something completely opposite of what he's doing now. How does that work? Would he have to go back and do more schooling? I plan on asking him once he wakes up since we didn't exactly get to talk in depth about it yesterday, but I just thought I would ask and see if anyone has any experience with that.

2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Palindrome* View Post
    So DH has been putting some thought into his reenlistment. He went and spoke with his career planner yesterday about it all and they basically gave him 3 location options: Quantico, Lejeune, and Fort Lee. For those of you who have lived at any of these locations give me the good and bad on them. How are the elementary schools? Housing? Pretty much everything. I have visited/been to both Quantico and Lejeune, but I know nothing about Fort Lee.
    They also gave him the option of switching his MOS to something completely opposite of what he's doing now. How does that work? Would he have to go back and do more schooling? I plan on asking him once he wakes up since we didn't exactly get to talk in depth about it yesterday, but I just thought I would ask and see if anyone has any experience with that.
    DH cross-trained 4 years ago and he did have to complete a ton more schooling, it took about 1-1.5 years, but that's based on the career field he cross-trained into. I have a friend who's husband just cross-trained to work in the legal office and his training only took a few months. I think it all depends on what his new career field entails.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by *Palindrome* View Post
    What your talking about sounds like a "lat (lateral) move". Since you switch jobs that's completely different than your original MOS then I assume it would require all new schooling. I wish I knew more details since my DH is considering a lat move but we haven't talked much about it.

4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by missinghim View Post
    DH cross-trained 4 years ago and he did have to complete a ton more schooling, it took about 1-1.5 years, but that's based on the career field he cross-trained into. I have a friend who's husband just cross-trained to work in the legal office and his training only took a few months. I think it all depends on what his new career field entails.
    Thanks for the info! I'm definitely going to ask him for more details about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    What your talking about sounds like a "lat (lateral) move". Since you switch jobs that's completely different than your original MOS then I assume it would require all new schooling. I wish I knew more details since my DH is considering a lat move but we haven't talked much about it.
    Actually that's what he called it! I just couldn't think of the name when I posted the OP. We are definitely going to talk more about it, I was just wondering if anyone else had been through the process before. Thank you!

5. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    I have been to Fort Lee twice for a total of four weeks with my husband while he attended HAZMAT school there.

The base housing looks pretty nice but be advised that the area around Fort Lee is kind of depressed. We were there this past December and the area looked pretty dark at night despite being full of shopping centers and other businesses. The base itself is really nice but I wouldn't want to live in any of the areas near the outside of the base. Nearby Hopewell isn't a bad place though. My husband and I caught a Joe Diffie concert at rather charming restored movie theater in downtown Hopewell the last time that we were there. I'm used to fairly modernized Air Force towns so my opinion might be a little biased
  6. Breathe and chill
    Breathe and chill
    Blog Entries

I know when DH switched from CAV to Field Artillery, it was about 6 months of schooling.
    Put on your big girl panties and deal with it like a boss.

7. I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home
    I miss Target & Trader Joe's, open roads & the smell of home

Eastern North Carolina schools are pretty bad, but if you get Lejeune and live a ways south in Hampstead, it's a good school district. That's all I can offer.
  8. Senior Member
    Lejeune housing for enlisted folks seems pretty nice on base at Lejeune. Officer housing is kind of meh. Quantico housing is the nicest I've seen actually, but it's at least 2 story, some are tri-level (washer/dryer, storage, garage downstairs, main level is kitchen and living area, upstairs are bedrooms). Both bases the schools are good. I've heard decent things about the schools in town at Quantico, not so much in Jacksonville. If you go to Quantico I'd look into living in Fredericksburg. With no traffic it's a 15-20 minute commute but it's soooooo much nicer of an area than Stafford is.