Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: breaking housing lease

1. Senior Member

breaking housing lease

Advertisements
    So my husband is up for new orders and he asked me just now if we could break the lease with housing if we find a place to live?

So we would move to our new duty station take housing until we find a house out in town. I know it can be done since we see sailors do it often here at our current duty station the question I have is how do you go about that or more like how is it dealt with generally?

We have always lived on the economy and this time we might not be able to find a place to live in the exact area we want if we get that duty station.
  2. Senior Member
    I have no experience with how your lease for on-base housing would be structured... but the SCRA (military clause) wouldn't necessarily apply in the situation because you would have already PCS'ed to the area. My thought is have the conversation with housing and see their thoughts, maybe some type of temporary housing or short-term lease would work until you find somewhere permanent you want to live.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Margot31 View Post
    So my husband is up for new orders and he asked me just now if we could break the lease with housing if we find a place to live?

So we would move to our new duty station take housing until we find a house out in town. I know it can be done since we see sailors do it often here at our current duty station the question I have is how do you go about that or more like how is it dealt with generally?

We have always lived on the economy and this time we might not be able to find a place to live in the exact area we want if we get that duty station.
    Definitely call housing when they open tomorrow.

At each base, we always had to sign a one year lease, after that it becomes month to month. You could break the lease if he got new orders, but what it sounds like you want to do is live on base for a few months then move in town. They might charge you a penalty (why else have you sign a one year lease?), so I would give them a call and ask what their policy is.

4. Senior Member
    So you want to move in to military housing and then move out when you find a civilian house? I believe you generally have to sign a year lease with housing, which you can break with orders, but since you won't have PCS orders, you'd need to fulfill your lease. And of course, the second move would be yours to pay for entirely. Your best bet it to call the housing office in the place you are moving and ask them for their policy, but even if they'll let you, it really seems like a lot of trouble and expense.

If you only want a place to stay while you are house hunting for a few weeks or a couple months, you would be better off living in a TLF, a hotel or long term stay hotel, or a vacation rental. (The military will generally store your stuff for 90 days from arrival in town for free, before you need to take delivery).
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Margot31 View Post

They can make you pay for the housing. I would talk to them and ask what their rules are especially if the housing is run by a privatized housing company. You might have to pay one month, you may have to pay the rest of your lease, you might not have to pay anything. No one knows for sure.

They do *ime* tell you that when you sign the lease it is just the same as a year lease off base. There can be penalties for breaking the lease early unless it is due to pcs orders from the base.
  6. Senior Member
    At our current base you pay an additional month's rent to break your lease.
    Never do anything halfway unless you want to be half happy.

Is this a dream? If it is, please don't wake me from this high. I'd become comfortably numb
    until you opened up my eyes to what it's like when everything is right...I can't believe you found me ♥
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    It depends on your lease. With ours, you can't move out until 1 year unless you are ordered to another station.

In your case, stay in a vacation rental, TLF, or something like that. You will also have to pay for your move off base. Your stuff would be delivered and you are responsible for that.
    "Obstinacy is a fault of temperament. Stubbornness and Intolerance of contradiction result from a special kind of Egotism, which elevates above everything else the pleasure of its own autonomous intellect, to which others must bow.: Carl von Clausewitz
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    My husband signed a 6 month lease and then it converted to a month-to-month. We actually moved in town until housing opened up. Not sure how breaking the lease would go but I imagine it would be laid out in the lease he'd sign and y'all could call that housing office and ask.