Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The good , The bad , And The ugly .

1. Regular Member

The good , The bad , And The ugly .

Advertisements
    Of Lincoln military housing? So we are going to California and we know nothing about it so we don't know where to move or anything so we was thinking we could use them for a bit not sure how long you have do do on the lease with them? But then we could be looking into other places? So are they good bad or what? I have heard so very bad things about then in other towns. So is it the same here? Will they take all of his bah? We don't have kids so we only need a one bedroom.
  2. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ceci View Post
    Of Lincoln military housing? So we are going to California and we know nothing about it so we don't know where to move or anything so we was thinking we could use them for a bit not sure how long you have do do on the lease with them? But then we could be looking into other places? So are they good bad or what? I have heard so very bad things about then in other towns. So is it the same here? Will they take all of his bah? We don't have kids so we only need a one bedroom.
    When we lived in San Diego we lived in Lincoln Housing and I loved it. We have 2 pets so we only qualified for certain housing and the wait for us was around 3 months. The lease is lasts a year and you have to give them 30 days notice when you want to move out. Certain houses won't take all your rent but I'm not exactly sure how it works I just know you get something small that not as nice (that's the trade off for getting some of your rent back). For example, at Miramar (Marine base), if you didn't have pets you could live on base in a tiny town house and they only took partial BAH. We knew a couple who did that and I much preferred living off base (still in base housing) where they took full BAH.

I loved the townhouse we got. It was on a hill with an amazing view. The house was large, modern, had a fence (something I needed because of the pets), and a garage. The community had a pool and a gym.

ETA: You will always read horror stories about base housing no matter what base you go to. I've lived in housing at 3 bases and never had any serious issues.

3. Senior Member
    Keep in mind that if you move out of Housing, the military will not pay for that move or help with it in any way. I would never choose to move more than necessary, so I'd pick one or the other and stay with it.

There are so many different housing areas in San Diego (and it can also depend on rank, family size, and other factors), so it is going to be tough to get much general information.

As for whether they take all BAH, that depends on which housing you get in to, and your BAH amount. Here's a list of all the housing areas. The "miles to base" is a little weird because there are so many bases sprinkled around San Diego.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

ok so off topic question:
    The housing units that say something like "3 bedroom for $1700" or something like that does that mean anyone can pay for more rooms than their family size would necessarily be entitled to?
    (ie: Willoughby Bay | Lincoln Military Housing)
    sorry to interject
  5. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wild*Rose View Post
    ok so off topic question:
    The housing units that say something like "3 bedroom for $1700" or something like that does that mean anyone can pay for more rooms than their family size would necessarily be entitled to?
    (ie: Willoughby Bay | Lincoln Military Housing)
    sorry to interject
    Generally, no. You can only get the size home you and your dependents qualify for, regardless of rent. If there are no homes that your family qualifies for, you may be able to get a larger home and pay the larger rent. That's an exception and not the rule.

OP, we lived in San Diego under Lincoln, and it was fine. We had a hiccup regarding the satellite dish policy, but quickly got that worked out. We lived in a 1 bedroom in Paradise Gardens, 8 miles from 32nd street, paid $900 a month and was very happy the 3 1/2 years we were there.
  6. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

The other thing I liked about living in housing, rent never went up, regardless of lease renewal or BAH increase. If you look now at the rent for a 1 bedroom at PG, it's 1,125 but when we moved in it was $900. Never paid a penny more even though BAH went up 3 times while we lived there. A member here, RocketLiz (hope you don't mind me putting your business out there), lived 'out in town' and had her rent raised on her with the BAH increases.
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abbynormal View Post
    The other thing I liked about living in housing, rent never went up, regardless of lease renewal or BAH increase. If you look now at the rent for a 1 bedroom at PG, it's 1,125 but when we moved in it was $900. Never paid a penny more even though BAH went up 3 times while we lived there. A member here, RocketLiz (hope you don't mind me putting your business out there), lived 'out in town' and had her rent raised on her with the BAH increases.
    Rent in San Diego is insane. Our BAH rate actually went down in 2016, though it didn't affect us because we were grandfathered. But I've talked to many, many people about this, and almost without an exception, everyone says that BAH in San Diego is the most screwed up an inadequate of any place they've lived. BAH was supposed to cover 1% less this year in all areas, due to policy change, but there is simply no way that rent for our rate when *down*, even going from 100% to 99%. So if money was expected to be tight (and SD is expensive for many things besides rent), I might opt for housing (and I say that as someone who has never lived in housing and probably never will by choice). Otherwise, you can be in a situation where your rent going up $250, and your BAH goes down $50, and you are suddenly out $300 per month. They can and do and will raise rents even if BAH goes down or stays the same, because there are so many people who live in this huge city who aren't military. As a landlord, I just raised our rent, and I didn't even look at the BAH rates for the people around our price range. I knew I could get more based on market value of similar units.

BAH is a big problem in San Diego, and if money were tight for us, I'd be aware of that in my decision making about housing.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  8. Senior Member
    Rent technically does go up if your DH picks up rank. You're still getting the BAH to cover it so there's that, but say you go from E5 to E6 and you now get $300 more for BAH, they still take more money from you and you stay in the same house.

I guess that's the one thing I never really like about housing though. An E1 with no kids qualifies for the same house as an E6 with no kids, while E1 is paying $1,000 (just made up a number) and E6 is paying $2,700 for the same house.

That's one reason I'd rather live off base but San Diego and Boston rent is pretty high so base housing was the better option for us.

9. Regular Member
    Ok so thank you all so so much. We have been looking and we found a place that we think will work for us it is a Lincoln apartment, so now we are trying to get the pape work in to them. It was not to easy for us we have a dog and I am seeing it is not to easy to find a place over there willing to take a dog. But the rent on the place is not bad it is 1,100. I guess the area is good lol I just think hey it is other military families so when he goes on deployment and I come out the house with un matching clothes on and red puffy eyes lol someone can be like um no you need to turn that sad train around and go fix your self haha. But I hope we do get in we was hoping for a house but I think it might be fun to try out apartment living. So ... San Diego here we come.... In 3 months hahaha. Thank you all so much though.
  10. Ummmmm...........
    Ummmmm...........
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by idratherbehiking View Post
    Rent technically does go up if your DH picks up rank. You're still getting the BAH to cover it so there's that, but say you go from E5 to E6 and you now get $300 more for BAH, they still take more money from you and you stay in the same house.

I guess that's the one thing I never really like about housing though. An E1 with no kids qualifies for the same house as an E6 with no kids, while E1 is paying $1,000 (just made up a number) and E6 is paying $2,700 for the same house.

That's one reason I'd rather live off base but San Diego and Boston rent is pretty high so base housing was the better option for us.
    That only happens in housing that is full BAH. DH was promoted while we lived there and we never saw an increase.

ETA- I should have clarified in my pervious post that I was only talking about housing that is partial BAH, not somewhere like Murphy canyon. OP only needs a one bedroom, so I didn't think she'd consider something like a house or town home.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast