Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Reimburse Moving Costs?

1. Navy Wife Extraordinaire
    Navy Wife Extraordinaire

Whatever Reimburse Moving Costs?

Advertisements
    My husband and I are PCSing to St. Louis next month. We are driving separately, me at the beginning of May and him towards the end, because my job requires that I be out there sooner.

My question is if the Navy will reimburse hotel, gas, food, etc. costs for both our trips out to Missouri. If they do then do we get money upfront to cover costs or do we save all our receipts and give them to someone to have costs reimbursed? This is our first PCS so we don't really know what we are doing and any help is appreciated!
  2. Senior Member
    Yes, they will pay if you each drive a car and don't go at the same time as long as he already has orders before you leave. No, they do not pay in advanced and it is a flat rate based on mileage so you do not really need to keep all your receipts. He should be attending a briefing on the move that should answer all your questions. You should be able to attend the briefing too.
  3. Senior Member
    I have to disagree. If you are doing a dity (PPM) move he can request some of the amount he would get in advance but it is something like 85% of their projected amount he would get for the move. But he does have to have hard copy orders before they will even discuss it with him.

And that money would be for the entire move not just partial for you and partial for him if they do allow that. If say they project 7k for the expenses than he would get just short of 6k of the money in advance (if the advance is still 85%). But again, that is for the entire thing. Is that hard to understand?
  4. Senior Member
    yeah, I don't think they will pay for 2 hotels rooms, if that's what you are asking. You've both get the per diem (which would be the same amount total whether you drive together or separately). I think they only pay for gas for one car, and I can't see anything in the JTR that says otherwise, though I only did a cursory look. He can ask at whatever office handles moves for your branch.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  5. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    yeah, I don't think they will pay for 2 hotels rooms, if that's what you are asking. You've both get the per diem (which would be the same amount total whether you drive together or separately). I think they only pay for gas for one car, and I can't see anything in the JTR that says otherwise, though I only did a cursory look. He can ask at whatever office handles moves for your branch.
    We've always gotten paid for at least 2 cars. I think that is it.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    The per diem rate is different when traveling separately. If traveling together, he would get 100% per diem and an additional 75% per diem for her. If they are traveling separately he would get 100% per diem and an additional 100% per diem for her. (JTR 5094) Since per diem is for lodging, meals and incidentals, they would if effect be paying for two hotel rooms.