Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: How long for dependent entry approval?

1. Senior Member

How long for dependent entry approval?

Advertisements
    I am anxiously waiting for my dependent entry approval. My medical screen and the other paperwork were submitted to the OCONUS base two weeks ago Monday. I don't recall it taking this long in the past, and yet of course this is the time where we really need to get it back. We are supposed to pack out in about 3.5 weeks but they won't schedule it until we have the DE approval, and since our lease ends shortly after that, we *must* get packed out. What is typical for the amount of time between when it is submitted to the gaining base and when they say, "Yes, we'll take her"? (There are no medical conditions or special circumstances or anything, so it really should be a rubber stamp approval.)
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  2. Senior Member
    Air Force the reg is 10 business days... I know the other branches seem to work off different regs though. Mine for Alaska only took a few days.
  3. Senior Member
    It took 2 weeks and one day. Got it Tuesday, so now we are scrambling to get everything scheduled. We wanted our pack out to be May 4, but I don't know if they'll be able to get it turned around that quickly. Thankfully, that date includes a bit of wiggle room--not much, but some--so if we can't make it happen right away, we aren't screwed. As long as it's not a huge delay.
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    It took 2 weeks and one day. Got it Tuesday, so now we are scrambling to get everything scheduled. We wanted our pack out to be May 4, but I don't know if they'll be able to get it turned around that quickly. Thankfully, that date includes a bit of wiggle room--not much, but some--so if we can't make it happen right away, we aren't screwed. As long as it's not a huge delay.
    Wish you the best Vill... Good luck
  5. Senior Member
    Thanks. We need it. This move may still kill me. The move office is so confused, because we shipped HHG here from germany, but never took possession of them. They stayed in temp storage, and now they just need to be put on a boat to Japan. They keep wanting to schedule a pack out, but it's already packed, and they don't get that. Then we have a smaller HHG that they do need to come pack. But it's not UAB. We did a split HHG instead of HHG/UAB, so we could have a bit more weight in the stuff that we did actually get delivered while we are in our rental apartment in the States for 6 months. It worked fine coming here, and we just need them to do the same thing again, basically, only one set of stuff is already packed. It's really easy--ship the stuff that's been sitting in storage, and come pack the rest of it and then ship that, too. Easy peasy. But they are making it so complicated. They want to come to the house and pack some of our stuff as HHG, combine that with the temp storage HHG, and ship that together, and then also do a UAB. That would work fine for us, but it is way more complicated, will surely cost them more, and there's no good reason for it, especially when timelines are getting really, really tight.

Then there is our airfare, which is also complicated. (Of course!)

Anyway, I'm just word vomiting now. Get a blog, Villanelle!
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Thanks. We need it. This move may still kill me. The move office is so confused, because we shipped HHG here from germany, but never took possession of them. They stayed in temp storage, and now they just need to be put on a boat to Japan. They keep wanting to schedule a pack out, but it's already packed, and they don't get that. Then we have a smaller HHG that they do need to come pack. But it's not UAB. We did a split HHG instead of HHG/UAB, so we could have a bit more weight in the stuff that we did actually get delivered while we are in our rental apartment in the States for 6 months. It worked fine coming here, and we just need them to do the same thing again, basically, only one set of stuff is already packed. It's really easy--ship the stuff that's been sitting in storage, and come pack the rest of it and then ship that, too. Easy peasy. But they are making it so complicated. They want to come to the house and pack some of our stuff as HHG, combine that with the temp storage HHG, and ship that together, and then also do a UAB. That would work fine for us, but it is way more complicated, will surely cost them more, and there's no good reason for it, especially when timelines are getting really, really tight.

Then there is our airfare, which is also complicated. (Of course!)

Anyway, I'm just word vomiting now. Get a blog, Villanelle!
    I have no advice but just reading this sounds stressful!!
  7. Senior Member
    The move office is so confused, because we shipped HHG here from germany, but never took possession of them. They stayed in temp storage, and now they just need to be put on a boat to Japan. They keep wanting to schedule a pack out, but it's already packed, and they don't get that.
    This could be an issue. The contractor can refuse to take responsibility for already packed items. It would be a real problem if any of the items are damaged too.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    This could be an issue. The contractor can refuse to take responsibility for already packed items. It would be a real problem if any of the items are damaged too.
    What we were told in Germany--and we asked eleventy times to make sure we got the same answer--and what we are now being told by the transportation office (though we haven't been in contact with the assigned moving company as that just happened today) is that just like when you have storage bins in your garage with Christmas ornaments in them, the new movers are welcome to unseal the crates and unpack, inspect, and repack anything if they want to, so it shouldn't be a problem. it is their choice. If they don't do it, they take on the liability for everything and for any damage, and if they do unpack, the can unpack as much or as little as they want, and they (and we) note any damage they find and make a claim against the Germany movers. We are hoping that laziness and labor costs win out and they just accept the sealed crates, since unpacking will take them hours. But if they want to do that, we meet them at the government storage facility and can sit there with our clipboard and our inventory and mark off everything and not any damage. It would probably turn a half day move in to a 2 day move. (I think we have 5 or 6 crates in temp storage and probably 2 at the house that actually need to be packed, and that includes a large sofa that will be most of one of those crates.) And they will be paying a crew for that time, which would cost more than paying for some minor damage that may have already occurred. But they will have to weigh that risk and decide. We are hoping for no unpack because clearly it is easiest and quickest for us, but the choice is not ours.

So they can refuse to take responsibility for any packed items, as you say, but they can't refuse to accept those items. The solution for the responsibility is for them to open the items and check on the condition and the packing, just as they do with that bin of ornaments in your garage, and to repack as they deem necessary, if that's what they want to do.
  9. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Hello I had a question seeing that you already went through this.
    How long does it take to get command sponsorship after getting your medical clearance approved?
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie_15 View Post
    Hello I had a question seeing that you already went through this.
    How long does it take to get command sponsorship after getting your medical clearance approved?
    I don't recall exactly, but I believe all 3 of mine were pretty quick--certainly less than a month and maybe less than 2 weeks. Our timelines were never tight so I wasn't watching the calendar while I waited, so I'm not sure of an exact timeframe. It may vary by branch though (DH is Navy), and I didn't have any medical issues at all that the gaining base/command might take a second look at, or anything else special that might slow things down.