Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Our PCS to Germany!

1. Senior Member

Our PCS to Germany!

Advertisements
    So our move to Germany is coming up rather quickly (SUPER EXCITED!) and we've been told that since there are no pet spots on the Patriot Express that they will allow me to fly commercial with our dog and my husband and 2 boys will fly Patriot Express. I was told the airline we have to use out of Seattle is American Airlines. We've found the ticket already. Does anyone have any experience flying their pet with AA? I've read both good and bad reviews. Our layover is 2.5hours in Charlotte, SC and we get in around 230pm so I am worried the temp might be over 85 degrees at that time of year! What happens if it reaches that temperature while you are in flight? Nervous as this is our first time ever going OCONUS. Thanks!!
  2. Senior Member
    Wow, I can't believe they are going to let you fly commercial because they don't have a pet spot on the PE. Is this in writing on the orders?
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    Wow, I can't believe they are going to let you fly commercial because they don't have a pet spot on the PE. Is this in writing on the orders?
    Yes, I would be very, very careful about this and make 100% sure. Are you going to Stuttgart? If so, it makes sense. Unless something has changed in the last 6 months, the PE isn't required for Stuttgart, so all of you could actually fly commercial if you want. (Not all travel offices know this, so you may have to look up the regulation and show them.) For every other base in Germany, the PE was required if there is space. And since pets are considered a personal choice, the military doesn't make accommodations based on pets. So if someone tells you your commercial flight will be paid, I'd be cautious about believing them, especially if they ask you to buy the ticket and apply for reimbursement.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dekeoboe View Post
    They let us do this, both to and from Germany. And not just me, but my husband as well. So yes, it happens.

We flew United to Germany, and flew Lufthansa back. As far as the temp, different airlines have different rules. United was 90 degrees I think, and even though we flew home in Summer, we didn't have an issue. I think your best bet is to call the airlines and ask what their policy is regarding pets and temperature. Good luck!

5. Senior Member
    They called this morning b/c I had sent an email asking what our options were since they didn't have a pet spot available prior to my husband's report date. After talking through the different options the lady gave us, we decided that I would fly commercial with the dog and the husband and 2 kiddos would fly Patriot. She asked me to look in AA's site and find a flight that would be suitable and I found one, called the airline to confirm pets were okay during that time, sent her the information and got a confirmation email this afternoon! So I hope, since we got a confirm email, that this doesn't change!
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    They let us do this, both to and from Germany. And not just me, but my husband as well. So yes, it happens.

We flew United to Germany, and flew Lufthansa back. As far as the temp, different airlines have different rules. United was 90 degrees I think, and even though we flew home in Summer, we didn't have an issue. I think your best bet is to call the airlines and ask what their policy is regarding pets and temperature. Good luck!
    Did they let you do it because you wanted to, or because the PE was full?

One source of info

... If there is no space available on the PE flight the traveler still has the option to ship the pet via commercial carrier or through air cargo (both unaccompanied).
    To be fair, there is a bit before that, which I don't quite understand, but that sentence seems very clear.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdizzle View Post
    I thought, at least on the way there, it was because your reservation on the PE was inadvertently cancelled and then the flight was full.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by villanelle View Post
    Did they let you do it because you wanted to, or because the PE was full?

One source of info

To be fair, there is a bit before that, which I don't quite understand, but that sentence seems very clear.
    They let us do it because there was no space for our two dogs. When we went into the travel office on the way home we told them we were flying with pets. When PE didn't have space, they went ahead and gave us civilian flights. On the way there, DH took care of it. Our flights were cancelled on accident the first time, but we were given civilian flights to fly with dogs, the PE wasn't full.

9. Senior Member
    Wow. Wish they'd let my husband do that. I paid to fly our dogs from Italy to the states out of pocket. Was cheapest to just buy me a ticket than to fly them unaccompanied.

I'm sure the flights will be fine. It's pretty much the same with every airline.