Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TCS to Germany

1. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie

Smile TCS to Germany

Advertisements
    Hello all!
    My husband will be TCS'ing to Germany and I would like to join him. However, I am not on his official orders but would like to stay longer than the 90 days allowed by the Schengen Agreement. Is there any way to do this? My husband is an officer and will be living on the economy. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
  2. Senior Member
    If he's an officer, then he's active military (yes?), and there is no TCS for military, so I'm a bit confused. Would it be TDY?

[RE: TCS] Not authorized in law for members. A member is issued TDY or PCS travel order only. Refer to JTR, par. 2230, TDY over 180 days and Chapter 4, Part I regarding Indeterminate TDY travel order.

Sadly, there are very few ways to stay more than 90 days in the Schengen zone. You can enroll in a school and get a student visa, or get hired by a local company that is willing to sponsor your. (In order to do that, they more or less need to prove you do a job that no EU citizen can do, or perhaps it could be an American company with offices in Germany. Also, there may be issues with the agreement between the US and Germany that might make this option impossible. I am not super familiar with civilian employees and the SOFA status.) Or, you can find a job on USA jobs or maybe the base website (though most would be on the former) that offers you sponsorship. Of course, the issues with any of those are expense (in the case of school), timing (for all three as they could start earlier or later and require a minimum time in the case of the jobs), and they are just simply logistically very difficult (especially the jobs).

Those are the only ways I can think of.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  3. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    Thank you for your reply Villanelle! I'm not quite sure about the jargon myself, but my husband is a Reserve Officer and his orders state "TCS"?

I have looked into some of those options you mentioned but they do seem a bit difficult or complicated to go about. Another option I'm looking into is obtaining a Tourist Visa.
  4. Senior Member
    Temporary change of station?

Just asked husband and he replied it might possibly be for that acronym. Which means he might be staying for (maybe) less than a 1 year?
  5. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

I think TDS' might be unique to the Reserve portion of the military.

From what I can read on Google it is a "Temporary Change of Station", but has it's own rules and regulations. It's not really that easy to find current information, but here are a few links for the OP:

Army.com - TDY Policy Changes
    TCS Frequently Asked Questions | Article | The United States Army

As it seems to be treated like an extended TDY, I doubt there is any command sponsorship involved (hence why you're not on the orders). So, the above advice by Villanelle is probably the best in regards to how to be with your husband in Germany.

6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nicee0609 View Post
    Thank you for your reply Villanelle! I'm not quite sure about the jargon myself, but my husband is a Reserve Officer and his orders state "TCS"?

I have looked into some of those options you mentioned but they do seem a bit difficult or complicated to go about. Another option I'm looking into is obtaining a Tourist Visa.
    Any visa to stay longer than 90 days is going to be complicated and you are going to have to prove you can support yourself and have medical insurance. How long will your husband be in Germany?
  7. Fresh Newbie
    Fresh Newbie
    He will be in Germany for a little over a year. I will be covered under his Tricare and will be financially reliant on his income, so I am hoping this will suffice in obtaining a tourist visa. Any further insight you might have?
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

He will be in Germany for a little over a year. I will be covered under his Tricare and will be financially reliant on his income, so I am hoping this will suffice in obtaining a tourist visa. Any further insight you might have?
    A tourist visa would only let you stay the 90 days. Any longer than that and you need another kind of visa like others have said (work, student etc) for those you must prove you can support yourself and provide your own health insurance. Also I believe Tricare won't necessarily be able to be used other than on a space available basis if you aren't sponsored from what I have read here in the past.
  9. Senior Member
    A tourist visa won't work. That buys you the 90 days you already know about. You get 90 days in Schengen, in a 6 month period. It will not allow you to stay long term. A tourist visa is for... tourists, which means it is short term.

And you most likely won't be able to be seen on base. It would be space A, and if his base is anything like the base we were at in Germany, there often wasn't even enough space for command sponsored dependents, and we were sent out on the economy for even regular care (like annual exams). So even if you find a way to make this work via one of the visas I mentioned earlier, you will want to check with Tricare to see what coverage they offer for seeing doctors on the economy while living overseas.
    Science always wins over bullshit. ~Dick Rutkowski
  10. Senior Member
    Almost impossible. We dealt with the Schengen rules the first 3 years of our marriage and I just did 3 months on and 3 months off. I was seen on base space a and in the local hospital during an emergency but I just tried to plan normal appointments for when I was in the states. You should get BAH for where you live in the states while he's gone since you're not authorized to move with him.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast